"This creature is alone and afraid...and I will not see any being die with fear in its heart."
— Nokama, Web of the Visorak
|Known locations||Po-Metru (formerly)|
Mata Nui (formerly)
Ash Bears are noble and powerful Rahi.
The Ash Bear species was created by the Makuta using Viruses and Liquid Protodermis to be one of the Rahi to populate the Matoran Universe.
On Metru Nui, most were captured and put into the Archives, and a few resided in the mountains of Po-Metru.
After the Great Cataclysm, many of Metru Nui's Ash Bears fled to the island of Mata Nui above, though later migrated back underground to the Matoran Universe.
After the Great Spirit Robot was critically damaged in the Battle of Bara Magna, many Ash Bears emigrated from the Matoran Universe to Spherus Magna.
Graalok is a female Ash Bear who built a strong relationship with Lewa.
Whilst on Metru Nui, she had been held in the Archives, but escaped during the Great Cataclysm, only to be injured by the Visorak. The Toa Metru found and healed her, and she fled to Mata Nui.
On Mata Nui, Graalok forged a special bond with Lewa. How the two met is unknown, although Lewa likely removed an Infected Kanohi from Graalok, freeing her from Teridax's influence. While searching for the seventh Toa, Takua, Jaller, and Pewku ran into Graalok, who defended her territory viciously against the intruders. Jaller tried to subdue her, but Graalok backed down only when Lewa arrived.
Shortly after those events, Graalok returned to Metru Nui with the Matoran and other Rahi, and she resided in the Archives. She emigrated from the Matoran Universe to Spherus Magna after the Battle of Bara Magna.
Abilities and Traits
Ash Bears are at least two to three times larger than a Matoran, and are extremely powerful. They have large jaws and incredibly sharp, deadly claws, which can be used as an effective weapon. They are, however, mostly peaceful, unless their territory is threatened.
- A Rahi called "Graalok Ash Bear" appeared in BIONICLE: Maze of Shadows. It had the appearance of "Makuta Nui," a 2003 combiner model, which many fans initially believed to be an Ash Bear set until it was identified.
- In regions such as Metru Nui, there was a game that was usually played on Naming Day called "Pin the Tail on the Ash Bear."
- Graalok was voiced by Scott McNeil.
- The design of the Ash Bear was not based on a physical LEGO model. However, the head of the bear was derived from Lewa's Miru Nuva.
- In April 2003, Greg Farshtey reported hearing rumors at the LEGO Group that there were plans to include instructions for an Ash Bear combiner on the Mask of Light DVD.
- Prior to the release of Mask of Light, Greg Farshtey referred to Graalok as male.
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets