|Title||Mask of Shielding|
|Powers||Protects from known physical attacks|
The Toa Mata (formerly)
|Pronunciation||HOW[BEU, p. 43]|
The Kanohi Hau is the Mask of Shielding. It allows its user to protect themselves from any physical attack that they are aware of by generating a force field. The only difference between the Great and Noble versions is that the Great version forms a stronger and longer-lasting shield than the Noble version.
One of the more famous Kanohi, Lhikan's Kanohi Hau has had a long history. Initially being a powerless Kanohi, it was transformed into its Great version when Lhikan became a Toa. It remained his primary mask throughout his life as a Toa and was transformed into its Noble version when Lhikan became a Turaga after he gave up his Toa power to create the Toa Metru. Before he died, Lhikan entrusted his Kanohi to Toa Metru Vakama, who later gave the mask to Jaller after Jaller's own Kanohi broke in the voyage to the island of Mata Nui.[BA4]
Jaller wore Lhikan's Noble Kanohi Hau for over 1,000 years, long enough to leave an imprint of himself in the mask, which was later used to revive him after he had been killed by a Turahk.[MoL] He was eventually forced to surrender the mask when Karzahni confiscated it and replaced it with a powerless Kanohi Calix.[BL2]
Shortly after Jaller and his friends escaped Karzahni, Toa Nuva Gali destroyed the entire region with a Nova Blast while fighting Makuta Icarax. Tahu managed to retrieve the mask[TNB, Ch. 7], and later gave it back to Jaller, now a Toa Mahri.
- Great: Onua used his Kanohi Hau to protect himself from an attack by an infected Lewa.[MNOG]
- Noble: Turaga Lhikan used his Kanohi Hau to protect himself from Teridax's Shadow Hand until it broke through the shield.[BA4]
- Toa Mata Tahu - Originally exchanged for a Golden Kanohi; has since regained his Hau; also currently wears the Golden Armor Hau
- Toa Mata Gali - Former secondary mask; exchanged for a Golden Kanohi
- Toa Mata Lewa - Former secondary mask; exchanged for a Golden Kanohi
- Toa Mata Pohatu - Former secondary mask; exchanged for a Golden Kanohi
- Toa Mata Onua - Former secondary mask; exchanged for a Golden Kanohi
- Toa Mata Kopaka - Former secondary mask; exchanged for a Golden Kanohi
- Toa Mangai Lhikan - Formerly; became Noble when he transformed into a Turaga
- Various Rahi - Formerly; since uninfected
- Makuta Teridax (Toa Empire Alternate Universe) - Worn in place of stolen Kanohi Kraahkan[DM, Ch. 4]
- Marka - Briefly lost after being attacked by a Rahi, now restored[T]
- Lhikan - Formerly; became Great when he transformed into a Toa
- Lhikan - His original mask was given to Jaller by Vakama; was given a replacement Hau on the Red Star
- Jaller - Formerly; given to Karzahni upon entrance to his realm
- Radiak - As an Av-Matoran; switched to a Noble Jutlin while a Shadow Matoran, but has since switched back
|A Great Kanohi Hau|
|An Infected Kanohi Hau|
|Lhikan's variant of the Great Kanohi Hau|
|Lhikan's variant of the Noble Kanohi Hau|
|An Adaptive Great Hau|
|The Golden Armor Hau|
The Kanohi Hau was first released in the color red with the 2001 8534 Tahu set. Released at the same time was a Kanohi Hau hand-painted with the marks typical of Infected Kanohi, included in the 8538 Muaka & Kane-Ra set and randomly included in several Kanohi mask packs. Kanohi packs could also include the Hau in red, blue, green, white, black, or brown. McDonalds restaurants released 1391 Jala in Happy Meals during the month of September that contained a yellow Kanohi Hau in this same shape, later released worldwide in the 2003 8594 Jaller & Gukko set.
In 2001, LEGOLAND Park in Carlsbad, California, released a model of the Kanohi Hau made with basic LEGO bricks. It came in green, red, and blue. Each had 168 pieces.
In various promotional events, a 14-karat solid gold Kanohi Hau was released as a prize. This version of the mask came with a certificate of authenticity, as well as a chain which could be put through two holes in the back of the mask. The theme of these events usually revolved around the idea of the Golden Kanohi which the Toa Mata would obtain after the collection of all their masks.
The 8559 Krana packs of early 2002 contained one of six gold or silver-colored masks, including the Kanohi Hau.
In 2004, a golden Kanohi Hau of a new shape was released with the 8811 Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo set, worn by Toa Lhikan. The same piece was later released in a Duracell promotional mini-set, known only as 7216 Gold Good Guy, which was later accepted by Greg Farshtey as a representation of Lhikan as a Turaga. This mask was also included with a compilation of BIONICLE Chronicles books due to a shortage of poisoned Hau Nuva pieces.
In 2010, two Kanohi Hau were released in the BIONICLE Stars 7116 Tahu set, one colored red, and the other gold for the Golden Armor. These Kanohi Hau are smaller and more elongated than the original incarnation. Additionally, the 2010 Hau utilizes an axle for connection, whereas the 2001 edition used a stud.
- The Kanohi Hau was the symbol of the Great Spirit Mata Nui.[BEU, p. 43]
- When he first faced the Toa Mata, Makuta Teridax shapeshifted his Kraahkan to resemble an infected Hau.[MNOG] He did so to reflect the symbol of his spirit-brother.
- The Coliseum's gate was in the shape of Lhikan's Great Kanohi Hau.[C27]
- An enormous Kanohi Hau was located in Artakha.[BW]
- A mysterious entity in the City of Silver Pocket Dimension resembled a floating Hau.[JoT]
|Great/Noble|| | | | | | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | |
| | |
| | | |
|| | | | | | ||
|Others||| | ||
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets