"A glow surrounded the six Matoran and their bodies grew indistinct. There was a sudden, bright burst of light, and when it faded, one Matoran stood where six had been before."
— Narrator, Trial by Fire
Many beings in the Matoran Universe can merge into Fusions. Combining bodies and minds results in greater strength, greater power, and often new abilities. Once a fusion dissolves, the individuals composing it retain the fusion's memories from the perspective of the combined mind.
In the Matoran Universe, beings of various species can willingly forgo their individuality and combine their bodies and minds. The amount of beings that enter this fusion can be any more than two, but is usually three or six. Many species, such as the Makuta, can fuse but choose not to do so as they are unwilling to surrender their identities. Members of the Matoran species must combine with members with differing elemental powers; for example, three Toa of Stone cannot form a fusion.
The fused being usually possesses enhanced strength, speed, and, if present, greater elemental powers. The fusion must concentrate in order to maintain its form. The fusion possesses its own mind, and it perceives itself as an individual. Although a fusion may be referred to as a having a gender, the being itself is gender-neutral.
Combinations of three beings are generally given the title of "Kaita," and combinations of six are given the title "Nui."
Known Natural Fusions
- Matoran Kaita
- Matoran Nui
- Toa Kaita
- Turaga Kaita
- Turaga Nui
- Bohrok Va Kaita
- Bohrok Kaita
- Bohrok-Kal Kaita
- Rahkshi Kaita
Artificial fusions occur when an outside force fuses two or more creatures. These fusions are often formed against the will of their components. Artificial fusions often display madness, those involved being driven insane by suddenly being forcibly merged with another mind. Artificial fusions do not always have the powers of those involved; the powers are sometimes weakened by the process instead of being enhanced.
Because the component beings did not fuse willingly, they often cannot split up the fusion themselves. As such artificial fusions are often permanent.
Objects/substances that can cause or affect fusions:
- The Spear of Fusion (formerly, now destroyed)
- A Mask of Fusion
- Energized Protodermis
- Viruses
Known Artificial Fusions
- Piraka Fusion - A temporary fusion created by Vezon using the Spear of Fusion on the Piraka Reidak and Vezok. The creature had massive strength and was insane, only capable of acting on its individual members' hatred of the other Piraka.
- Prototype - Another product of the Spear of Fusion. Used by a Dark Hunter on a pair of Toa in the process of merging, driving them insane and depriving the resulting creature of much of its components' elemental powers.
- Takutanuva - A temporary fusion created when the Toa Takanuva and the Makuta Teridax fell into a pool of Energized Protodermis together. Takanuva had removed Teridax's mask before the fusion took place, weakening Teridax and preventing him from dominating the new entity.
- Shadow Matoran/Rahi Hybrid - A creature created by Mutran and Chirox to serve as a mount for Vican.
- Mutated combinations of Underwater Rays and Takea - The Barraki used these creatures.
- Golden-Skinned Being - A creature created when a group of Skakdi dropped Avak, Vezok, Hakann, Thok, Reidak, a Vortixx, a worker from Stelt, and a Zyglak into a tank of Energized Protodermis. Zaktan also entered the tank as the fusion initiated, and the creature emerged as a gold-skinned being able to physically realize the dreams of those around it.
( / )|
( / )
|( ) | ( )|
|| | ||
|Other||| | ||
|| | | | | ||
|Standard|| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
|| | ||
|Standard||| | | | | ||
|| | ||
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets