BIONICLE: Quest for Makuta
|BIONICLE: Quest for Makuta|
|Number of players||Two to six|
|Set Number||31390 |
31391 (Collector Tin)
BIONICLE: Quest for Makuta was a board game released in late 2001. An unusual aspect of the game was that the entire board was printed on hexagonal pieces which joined together, like jigsaw pieces, allowing many different configurations of the board.
The object of the game was to move around the board collecting tokens and battling Rahi until one had collected enough tokens to take on Teridax.
The game begins on a single map piece of Mata Nui, which the players' characters, one of the six Toa Mata, have washed up on. Players roll a die to move. As a portal on the edge of the pieces is reached, the player who reached it takes another piece from the pile of remaining map sections, and places its portals adjacent to the one landed on, increasing the total map area.
In addition to a player's opponent(s), players are blocked by three different levels of Rahi: Nui-Rama, Nui-Jaga, and Muaka. As a player encounters a Rahi, he or she flips the Rahi's token to expose its strength, then rolls a die and adds any bonuses granted by Kanohi or Turaga tokens that they may have. If the player's total is above the Rahi's strength, the Rahi is defeated. Losing to the Rahi costs the player a token from their Toa's playcard, chosen by an opponent, and placed under the token of the Rahi which the player failed to defeat (which is rewarded to whomever does defeat that Rahi).
Kanohi, Turaga, and key tokens are acquired as Rahi are defeated. They are kept facedown on players' Toa playcards. Players are limited to possessing four Kanohi, two Turaga, and three keys at any one time, but if a player comes across another, they have the choice of taking the new one (discarding one of their existing ones).
Play progresses until the map section which contains Teridax's temple is placed, at which time the lock tokens are put down around the edges on the portals. As a player approaches a lock, it's flipped and a three-digit code is uncovered. The player must have the three matching keys on their Toa's playcard in order to challenge Teridax.
If the player does not, they are sent back out to the map to find and swap out keys, or work their way around the map in an attempt to gain entry to Teridax's temple through a different portal.
When a player matches their keys to a lock, their challenge with Teridax begins. A die is rolled to rotate Teridax's temple, then his strength is determined by which color on his base is facing the challenger's particular portal. Then the battle is determined on a single die roll. If the challenger's roll, plus their Kanohi and Turaga modifiers is higher than Teridax's strength, they defeat Teridax, winning the game.
Should the challenger lose, they lose a token and one of their opponents gets to relocate their Toa pawn to any space on the map and the game continues.
- One instruction booklet
- One Makuta temple
- One white six-sided die
- One red eight-sided die
- One green twelve-sided die
- Six Toa pawns
- Six Toa playcards
- Six reference sheets
- Nine lock tokens
- Twelve Turaga tokens
- Twenty map pieces
- Twenty-four key tokens
- Twenty-four Kanohi tokens
- Fifty-seven Rahi tokens
- The boards can be arranged to make the shape of the island Mata Nui by matching the different connections with each other. The map pieces are each labeled with the names of locations that appear in that area of the island.
- The Makuta temple is represented by a Toa Mata canister lid. A sticker around the base of the lid displays the colored segments that decide Teridax's power in a challenge.
- Although the original six great Kanohi were used in the game, the exact abilities were not. Similar abilities were used, however. For example, the Kakama and the Kaukau gave the player access to different dice with more possibilities for movement, similar to the actual abilities.
- An alternate ending came in the form of a replacement center tile in LEGO Magazine in which the player must travel to a specific location on the board in order to complete the game.
|Quest for Makuta | Quest for the Nest | Mask of Light | Challenge of the Toa Metru! | Quest for Keetongu | The Quest Game | Hydraxon's Hunt Game!|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets