- I suppose it didn't rank high enough to appear in BIONICLE: Rahi Beasts, thus it was not canonized. The letter says that the builder's prize was all the Vahki sets, no mention of Yari being included in RB.
- --OnionShark 17:39, 21 December 2016 (CET)
- Does anyone have the magazine where the contest was first announced? Maybe it explains the prize tiers. -- talk) 19:25, 21 December 2016 (CET) (
- I uploaded the image a little while ago. Looks like first place is different than grand prize. If we can keep planetperson's blog entry up as a reference, then that's probably where it should stay.
By the way, what's the policy on including other BIONICLE competitions that were hosted by the magazine but may not have been intended for canonization. Someone pointed this one out recently, and I was curious if it was worth adding. --Gonel (talk) 17:35, 16 April 2021 (UTC)
- That one's on there! It's the Super Stronghold Building Challenge, in 2006, it just doesn't have a picture because I was worried about the page getting too cluttered. Really any competition that was featured in the magazine is fair game, third party ones (like Scholastic) are probably okay but I might want to review them first. -- Talk 00:20, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
2006 Bionicle Heroes Design a Mask Competition
Was looking for info about this here on BS01 and pretty much everywhere else but couldn't find anything. Luckily managed to dig deeper and found the following info. There was a European competition hosted from the 4th to 24th August 2006 where you could design your own mask based off the Piraka/Skakdi design, hosted on www.bioniclecomp.com. The winner of the mask was then added to the game as the second-to-last Gold Canister badge (not sure if there were regional differences here as the competition was Europe only..?), and they also received a real gold kanohi (apparently). Below are some resources/images I've gathered that refer to the competition (not all of them are probably worth putting on the page.. but nice to compile everything)
- Earliest mention I could find: https://www.maskofdestiny.com/news/bionicle-heroes-design-a-mask-competition
- Website goes live: https://www.maskofdestiny.com/news/bionicle-heroes-website-now-live
- Press release: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/design-a-bionicle-mask-for-the-new-game
- Early forum discussion (with some images of example masks): http://www.polskabionicle.fora.pl/rozne,18/wasze-maski-bionicle,932.html
- Screenshot of the site: https://brickshelf.com/gallery/aazz09/azweirdstuff/wow.o.o.bmp
- LEGO Magazine scan with winner mentioned: https://www.maskofdestiny.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/0008331.jpg
Anyway, may be worth adding this for future reference. It's relieving to know now that this isn't something I dreamt or made up! I'm sure others may be thinking the same :) (The preceding unsigned comment was made by Smokyzen)
- This is awesome, thanks for doing that research! We've always known it exists but it'll be great to add this to the page. -- Talk 04:11, 24 January 2023 (UTC)
- Hmm, I doubt it, but can check around. -- Talk 18:57, 24 January 2023 (UTC)
- Looks like the mask designer was also available at bionicleheroes.com and was archived by BMP: https://biomediaproject.com/bmp/data/sites/bionicleheroes/bionicleheroes/goodies.swf. Clicking the star in the right hand column shows the winning design from before it was redrawn for the game. Jointdog (talk) 02:32, 27 January 2023 (UTC)
I have some questions and concerns regarding what we consider to be canon. First off, I know that there has been a refusal to add the resurfaced image that was allegedly the winning entry for Phantom anywhere on his page, as the appearance of him is not considered canon, but we include other original entry submission photos on the other winners, so why is he different? Furthermore, the way they look in the submission photos is considered their canon, in-universe appearance, so why isn't Phantom or the Rock Lion(if we have the original picture) the same? 2nd, should we include non-canonized Rahi submission, particularly those who won, on the Non-Canon Rahi page? I understand if we don't, but even with these images possibly being linked somewhere or even uploaded to this site, they are very often near-impossible to find, even if you know their name or what contest they are from. 3rd, do we have an image of the Rock Lion? Are the images or descriptions of Life&Death Jr., Lyger2000, Mischief Mecha, and Tairo's winning submissions still lost? And what about all the other contests that have no images to be found here on BS01, both winning and non-winning entries? Should we try to upload what we can? dowe need to clear usage rights with the creators, or were the usage rights legally given up or set when they submitted the photos? Should we also extend this to the highlighted Build of the Week MOCs? 4th, which of these contests include canonization as a prize? I want to know for all the ones that don't specify, but the (uncited) information that when trying to get the winners of the Prisoners of the Pit competition canonized seems like it might mean that the models and possibly stories could have been canonized, making it of particular interest.
Sorry for the huge and hard-to-respond-to comment, but I didn't know if this should be split up into a bunch of topics or not, and I wanted to get it all out there, especially since I don't want to forget this(I have already forgetten parts of this as I a am writing this). Firespitter Lhii (talk) 20:30, 9 February 2024 (UTC)
- Phantom - It has nothing to do with it being canon or not, it has to do with the word you used, "allegedly". There is no definitive proof that it is Phantom. If anything, the evidence points more towards it being one of the other two Dark Hunter entries that also did not make into the book. The contest had 35 winners, and unlike the Rahi contest, inclusion in the book was one of the prices. 29 entries made it into the book. A further 3 were published in Magazines, and finally, Phantom was included in BEU. We have Casey's perspective on what happened with his entry, as well as the backstory which he submitted for it, and neither corroborate it being Phantom. The backstory does not match at all (for comparison, we also have Primal's, which is nearly exactly the same), and what Greg said about Phantom's omission does not match up.
- Regarding Rahi, sure, we can put those on the non-canon page.
- Rock Lion etc. no, we don't have images of them. As far as I know, they're lost media.