Aren't the Lightning Bugs from the MNOG and the Electrict Bugs from the QftT are the very same Rahi? They both appeared in Le-Wahi, have the exact same powers (as seen in both games) only the color scheme varies. Judging on their visual depictions they look exactly the same, only in different angles, so I think it's safe the assume that these 2 Rahi are the same, and we can include the information about the Electric Bugs on this page. And off cource include the QftT as a canonical appearance. And 'cause neither of them are mentioned at all in the BEU, we can use the nickname banner for this Rahi. — Surel—Nuva (Talk) 16:42, 24 March 2018 (UTC)
- Quite honestly, I agree with you that the "Lightning Bug" is just a variation of the Electric Bug. It makes a lot of sense. After all, Occam's Razor would suggest that these two Rahi that appeared in the same setting (Le-Wahi) in the same year (2001) with the same abilities (electricity) and similar appearances would most likely be the same Rahi.
- However, I wouldn't say they look exactly the same. Close analysis of the Electric Bug sprites suggests that it would be built something like this, which has some noticeable differences from the "Lightning Bug" (such as the eyes being spaced farther apart and the beak being pointed downward). On the other hand, various QftT Rahi have notably different builds from other media (see Hikaki and Mahi), so this argument does not necessarily refute the point.
- What I would personally suggest is that, instead of just listing the Electric Bug info on this page, we rename the "Lightning Bug" article to "Electric Bug". The difference between the two names is that, while neither have been referenced in a canonical source, "Lightning Bug" is a fan nickname while "Electric Bug" actually does come from a published source. If I remember correctly, someone asked Greg if BS01 could call it "Lightning Bug" in the absence of a preexisting name... "Electric Bug" may very well be that preexisting name. In that case, this is a discussion that would be best taken to the AfC. --PeabodySam (talk) 17:25, 24 March 2018 (UTC)
- Elaborating on that last point. Here are the two instances where the name "Lightning Bug" was brought to Greg Farshtey:
- Nov 12, 2007, 3:57 PM - Wrinkledlion X asks if "Lightning Bug" can be used as a fan-term. Greg replies, "Fine by me"
- Aug 12, 2010, 1:34 PM - Wrinkledlion X wants Greg's approval to use the term "Lightning Bug" in his entry for the Stasis Toa Contest. Greg replies "It's okay," but also expresses reluctance to give a Rahi the same name as a real life animal. It should be noted that Wrinkledion X's entry did not win the contest, so that is not a conflicting issue here.
- So technically, Greg did give approval for "Lightning Bug" as a term that could be used in canon, but he did so reluctantly and never gave a strong "yes" as an answer. Additionally, the question was most likely asked without prior knowledge of a preexisting name for the bug, therefore unintentionally biasing the question and answer. --PeabodySam (talk) 17:59, 24 March 2018 (UTC)