(→Trivia: Nixie: new section)
|Line 404:||Line 404:|
::I would be proactive and just block them now... [[User:Toa Green Ninja|Toa Green Ninja - Bearer of the Mask of Spinjitzu]] ([[User talk:Toa Green Ninja|talk]]) 02:16, 21 October 2014 (CEST)
::I would be proactive and just block them now... [[User:Toa Green Ninja|Toa Green Ninja - Bearer of the Mask of Spinjitzu]] ([[User talk:Toa Green Ninja|talk]]) 02:16, 21 October 2014 (CEST)
:::Accidentally blocking a legitimate user is much worse than having delete a spam page or two. <font color="BLACK">•</font>[[User:Shine|'''<font color="#666666">Shine</font>''']] 02:19, 21 October 2014 (CEST)
:::Accidentally blocking a legitimate user is much worse than having delete a spam page or two. <font color="BLACK">•</font>[[User:Shine|'''<font color="#666666">Shine</font>''']] 02:19, 21 October 2014 (CEST)
Revision as of 04:43, 5 December 2014
Currently taking submissions for the month of: Whenever
Here's where you can submit fun facts about BIONICLE; any and all facts are welcome, and if you don't see your fact there right away, you can always submit it again next time!
Did you know several Bionicle voice actors such as Jason Michas (Takua), Lee Tockar (Makuta), Kathleen Barr (Gali), Alessandro Juliani (Vakama), Michael Dobson (Kopaka), Brian Drummond (Matau), and Tabitha St. Germain (Nokama) have all done voice work for the children's animated series Dinosaur Train?
- I generally avoid voice actor trivia unless there's some deliberate casting or an homage of some kind involved; voice actors appear in a LOT of stuff almost by definition, so there's bound to be coincidences. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 17:52, 25 August 2014 (CEST)
- 1 DYK
- 2 Bohrok symbol on Sapient Species header
- 3 2015 Return Management
- 4 what's a chaturival?
- 5 Pink Floyd
- 6 Why the new layout?
- 7 Planets or Moons?
- 8 Comic-Con!
- 9 2015
- 10 Suggestion for Handling of Reboot
- 11 Extension of Tabbing Format
- 12 BS01 Downtime
- 13 Improvements
- 14 :/
- 15 erm
- 16 Trivia: Nixie
Bohrok symbol on Sapient Species header
Why do we have the Bohrok symbol there? It seems out of place, especially compared to how all the other visuals are at least sort-of-related to the subject. Master Inika (Talk) 05:12, 31 August 2014 (CEST)
- I protested against that one, I'll tell you that =P.
- There wasn't a good alternative, is the thing; anything that could maybe have fit was already in use. Open to suggestions! -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 00:36, 3 September 2014 (CEST)
- The Valley of the Maze or Kraahkan perhaps? -- talk) 06:32, 4 September 2014 (CEST) (
- I'm loathe to reuse symbols, so I'd rather something new.
2015 Return Management
Can never be too early to start worrying about the little things. :P
So what I think would be a good idea to do is to map out now, in advance of a rush of new information, how to manage updating the wiki going forward in regards to the revitalization of the line. Think of it as what Wookieepedia had to go through with the cancellation of the Star Wars EU and how to split its articles. Fortunately for us, there is some time to prepare.
There are two distinct possibilities for the return of BIONICLE and its storyline:
- This is a continuation. Whether it be in the future or picking up where it left off, the old story is not discarded.
- This is a hard reboot. Although old ideas, names, themes, etc. may be reused, the overall plot of the previous story is irrelevant.
Should possibility #1 be the path BIONICLE takes, then I see no need to change anything. Continue updating pages as they are now and as needed.
It is possibility #2 that is of a much greater concern. If, for example only, there should be another character named Tahu, what should be done?
I see, again, two possibilities:
- Update existing articles as needed. Place "old" canon and "new" canon under their own distinct subheadings. This would be for everything, from biography to abilities and traits to info template splits.
- Create new articles with some indicator that it is of the "new" canon while moving old articles to include a similar indicator for "old" canon, with disambiguation pages made as landing pages for searches done on that name.
Possibility #1 seems like it might be the easier option, but would ultimately be messier as well. Templates could become quite complex and article navigation trickier. It might not always be clear either when a split is necessary or they could just end up repeating information.
Possibility #2 would be more work, because it would mean updating links as well to not be directed to the disambiguation pages. However, it has the benefit of clarity as it is guaranteed that all information present on a page is about that particular incarnation. Of course, deciding on the indicators would also be an issue, and for some pages like Karzahni (should such a character or place appear again) would be even trickier.
For what it's worth, I am in support of this second option if a reboot happens. I would follow the examples set on TFWiki with its various Primes and Megatrons for how to rename articles. They do it by original source material, but what could work more easily here would be original year appearance. Tahu, for example, would be moved to Tahu (2001) and a new Tahu (2015) page created for the new character. This would only be done as necessary. Should there never be, for example, another Jaller, then the original article name stays intact.
Maybe this is thinking too far ahead. But I would think it best to be safe than sorry. So, thoughts? Opinions on my recommendations? What would any of you do differently or think a better solution? --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- I think possibility #1 would make a page a bit too difficult too differentiate old storyline from the new one. Combining the information of two completely separate storylines into one article has, in my experience, resulted in an ugly mess.
I did like how Wookiepedia made made a subpage for the canon versions of articles though, which is similar to your possibility #2. I'd be more for that than #1 --Vartemp 23:34, 8 September 2014 (CEST)
- Option 3: Move all of BS01 to a subdomain and start fresh :U
- NO BUT SERIOUSLY
- The problem is that the new (we'll just say "alleged" to cover some bases) characters are the only current confirmed similarities in terms of universe terms; so do we single them out because it's easier to deal with the minority of pages, or do we assume people coming to BS01 when they search "Tahu" are looking for the new iteration of the character?
- I'd rather not do year numbers if anything, because not only have the sets and characters been seen across multiple years, but it just gets more and more confusing if we see, say, a "Lhikan"; "Lhikan (2015)" and "Tahu (2015)" would obviously belong to the same generation, but how can someone tell that "Lhikan (2004)" and "Tahu (2001)" also belong to the same generation? Hypothetical, obviously, but it bears thinking. I'm not opposed to just calling it "gen 1" and "gen 2", but this brings to mind the more ridiculous attitudes of what happens when you do that (i.e. other fanbases), so I'm open to new ideas on that.
- Regardless of what we end up actually identifying the pages as (which generation has sovereignty), I'm going to look into having any duplicated character available as a secondary tab (next to where it says "Page"), because that will make navigating much much easier, and should be pretty feasible. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 00:31, 9 September 2014 (CEST)
Assuming a reboot, Option #2 makes the most sense for us, I feel. It may be more work, but it isn't unfeasible, and certainly made easier with the ReplaceText function, though one wonders how big a hit to the server a ton of those will be XD
I would say we take it on a page-by-page basis--We have a rebooted Tahu, okay we need a new page for the new Tahu, and we need to make the two pages distinct and correct all links to the old Tahu; now we have a rebooted Lhikan, we need to do the same for him--and the main issue would be HOW to distinguish the pages. I'm not a fan of the (year) idea. I do, however, like the (gen #) concept. I look at it in a couple ways: we could A. do Tahu (gen 1) and Tahu (gen 2), or B. Gen1: Tahu and Gen2: Tahu, with Gen1 and Gen2 becoming their own spaces on the Wiki. Like we have the User: space the BIONICLEsector01: space and the Mediawiki: space. If that were true, we could move ALL the current Mainspace Pages to the Gen1 space, and bring in Gen2 pages as needed. What would suck is that we'd have to have the links match the space, and the simplicity of just using the search box would be compromised. This is based on my presupposition that any of this is even possible, and that it would be impossible or just too complicated to have a search box dedicated to a specific "space." I'm also assuming that came out even half clearly XD ζox• Histories
- I did some thinking about this a while back (before it was cool, jk). I think that, should BIONICLE 2015 be a reboot, a precedent has already been set: Teridax and Teridax (The Melding Alternate Universe). We can simply assume the rebooted BIONICLE is an alternate universe, and label new pages as such. If you like, we can rename old pages to Tahu (Core Dimension) or some such thing, since that is what we've always called it.
- In fairness, the point Dorek raises about navigation is an iffy one. I think it would be safe to assume that, when BIONICLE returns, most new visitors will be coming to BS01 to research the newer iterations of the characters. But I wouldn't want to sideline the original characters in favor of the new ones. I favor disambiguation pages, even though that means more work. :/
- Of course, if BIONICLE 2015 is just a continuation, that makes everything so much easier. Except for the storyline geeks who have to figure out how all the retcons and revamps fit together.:P --Angel Bob (talk) 00:53, 9 September 2014 (CEST)
- I don't think we can treat it like an alternate dimension, though. A reboot would be saying "None of the previous happened." True, we can take the lessons learned from the Alt Dimensions, but we still need to decide on how to best treat it. If people come to the site wanting info on the new line, and we simply do Page (labels), then we're gonna have a lot of disambiguation pages to separate common characters/items/places. That's not necessarily bad, just perhaps confusing for people brand new to Bionicle. I dunno. ζox• Histories
I don't think it works treating it as an alternate dimension. That's not even what it would be. Even with alternate dimensions, it was still the same canon... made all the more connected given the dimension hopping. A new canon would be completely separate and we'd have to note that somehow. In fact, "core dimension" wouldn't even work because both would be a "core dimension" (man I hate that term) in their own right.
Year designations don't seem that bad to me still... But you're right, conveying that Lhikan (2004) and Tahu (2001) go together would be a bit of a hassle. At the same time, I wouldn't want to start making up terminology like "Gen 1" and "Gen 2." Some official subtitle or anything would be nice, LEGO! :P
I really like the idea of sub-pages with a tab bar at the top to switch between them. That sounds cool too.
- I was hoping the new BIONICLE would receive some kind of subtitle that would be easier to help distinguish it, but that's unlikely. And I mean, even if we use more universe-centric terms like whatever the location is, it's limited to until that location changes; any distinguishing method we'd need to use would have to encompass any future years (assuming this isn't a one-off =P).
- If it is a reboot, it's not likely to be in an AU, which is apparently really hard for people to grasp.
- Anyway, a namespace is doable, depending on how I can get the pagenames to be displayed. It'll be tricky, but I've got a lot of stuff to ask Metax about =P. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 04:32, 9 September 2014 (CEST)
Reboot not likely to be an AU? Please explain, instead of condescendingly saying "It seems really hard for people to understand my line of thinking". Even if 2015's story has no obvious point of divergence from the core dimension's timeline, it will still be clearly a different dimension, unless they make reference to the events of the original series. --Angel Bob (talk) 13:53, 10 September 2014 (CEST)
- By the loose, general definition of an alternate dimension, yes, it certainly is one. However, as BIONICLE has in the past introduced its own interpretation of alternate worlds, things become a little muddied.
- Within the context of BIONICLE, alternate dimensions of the past were certainly divergent or different in some way to what was regarded as the primary world. That would make a reboot similar. However, the difference lies in that they were connected. Although separate, they were reachable and all a part of the same overall canon. It's a matter of canon that makes them different here.
- A reboot would be its own, distinct canon. An alternate universe would indeed be a more apt description than merely a dimension, but that title carries with it connotations or interpretations that would be less than desirable. It's saying that this new one would not be the primary or main universe, by being "alternate." That it would be lesser or not as important. However, it would now be the universe - the only one that matters going forward. To continue to refer to it as "alternate" would be a misnomer. (This is why I had wished for some sort of subtitle or description from LEGO to distinguish them... although it is still possible that could come.) Think of it as similar to DC's New 52 (Who did have the sense to at least name it something so people knew it was different and could refer to it separately. :P) - draws influences from, but is not beholden to anything that came before and can do its own thing, for better or for worse.
- It's fine to think of it as one. In a way, it is. However, the problem lies in terminology and intent. There would have to be some distinguishing factor to show that it is entirely severed from all previous canon, which thanks to BIONICLE's already-extant alternate dimensions, means we can't just call it one. Nor would it be entirely fair to.
- All assuming, of course, that it is a reboot. --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- It wasn't a condescension thing, it was a thoroughly unscientific remark based on various comments I have seen around the boards. Part of that lies in how AU's were defined originally, which is "everything with BIONICLE characters that isn't the main universe". So as a result, people think Ultimate Marvel instead of DC New 52 (which ALSO confused the heck out of a lot of people, so it's not like they won't be expecting this).
- As ET said, assuming a "hard reboot" (I would still consider anything in an AU a "soft reboot" although there's some debate on that as well) means that this is not Star Trek '09, where the two universe are connected. Hypothetical Tahu 2015 will never meet Tahu 2001 because Hypothetical Tahu 2015 CANNOT meet Tahu 2001; they do not exist in the same fictional space. It's the moral equivalent of saying Hero Factory is not in the same universe as BIONICLE, but people have a hard time grasping that this new BIONICLE can't be connected simply because this IS new BIONICLE, and it shares some certain similarities. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 17:58, 10 September 2014 (CEST)
what's a chaturival?
Not sure where else to put this; this just came up on LMB:
The user said it was fanon that was accepted as canon, but Greg's never heard of it. Evidently, it was something Bionicle. Or is that user just incorrect?--Willess12 (talk) 16:00, 19 September 2014 (CEST)
- Not actually a thing.
- You know what IS a thing? BIONICLE 2015 :U -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 16:24, 19 September 2014 (CEST)
- We're still in the beta stages for this layout. I assure you, if I decide to put the lyrics back in, they'll most likely be in the white background area. --talk|contribs) 17:05, 20 September 2014 (CEST) Owner (
Why the new layout?
To everybody below this post: I posted this at the top so everybody can see it clearly. I do apologize that we jumped the gun and made the new Metrolook skin our default. It is clearly still in beta, but I do hope to make it better as time goes on.
To answer the question posed at first: Why. The answer was posted below, but I'll say it again: Monobook is -old-. I've had it limping along for awhile with a redesign with transparent windows and whatnot, but even that doesn't fix it for very long. Basically, the site needs a new coat of paint. I'm expecting this skin will be that paint.
The default has been reset to monobook, but the Metrolook skin is still in the preferences section. Feel free to tag along with the beta of BS01 as we develop its Bionicle identity further. Please do report any bugs from it to Akihabara's talk page.
- I'm not qualified to speak on any specifics since I wasn't responsible for the change, but Monobook (the old skin) is pretty outdated both in terms of appearance and actual features. Plus Swert really likes Metro UI. Also Swert, I think this is where I have to put my obligatory Refreshed plug. :P-- (talk) 17:51, 20 September 2014 (CEST)
- I like the older one better. It doesn't cause unnecessary loading... My speed is low... And is there a way to change it back, just on my screen? All the buttons when editing a page are now gone, it seems like those boxes, don't know how to describe them, like Jaller's one where there are multiple images and whatnot, are stuck on the first one and cannot move for me, for eg. Jala's one is stuck in his Metru form box. And worst of all... I have to manually put in the code for my signature... -Boidoh (talk) 17:54, 20 September 2014 (CEST)
- To change back to Monobook, click on your username in the top right, click "preferences," then scroll down to "skin," choose "Monobook," and hit "save" at the very bottom. I imagine the edit boxes being gone was a deliberate move on the original developer's part--I'm not quite sure why though. And nice catch regarding the tabs, that is pretty weird. -- talk) 18:10, 20 September 2014 (CEST) (
UGH it changed one very important to be like something that I absolutely despise from Wikia-based wikis -- when you put something in the search bar that is a valid article name and hit enter, it gives you a list of results instead of taking you to the freaking page itself! That is beyond annoying to always encounter. And there's no auto-complete feature here so you have to search. --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- I second ET's sentiment on the results page. @Boidoh, I'm sure they'll be working on optimizing it and, perhaps, reducing some of the sterility of the skin.
I would also like to note something I noticed: Tiny pages like the new Tuma's Sword have this automatic shrinking thing going on that leaves this blank space off to the right. Blank space is blank. Kinda ugly. It wouldn't be so huge an issue if there were something going on in the bg, like the Pink Flyod lyrics, to take away some of the glaring whitespace.
- That actually might be one of my biggest issues with the new layout, along with the supreme blockiness. Whitespace. Even going to the VS01 skin pre-transition deleting all skins got to be an eye-pain compared to the trans-monobook because there was this glaring white background hitting you in the eyes. ζox• Histories
- I'm also not much of a fan of the new layout. As said, its blocky and has shows a list of results rather than bringing up the page. I also liked the search bar on the left side. Gives it more of a professional look. --Vartemp 19:47, 20 September 2014 (CEST)
- Obviously there are bugs, we're working on that. At least by defaulting to the new one more people notice the bugs =P. As for the search function issue, that does suck... I'm not sure why that would be?
- Anyway, I'll add in that I'm not a big fan of the skin; I loathe whitespace as much as the next guy, and while the toolbar is pretty neat, I'd rather find a way to incorporate it into a less ugly looking skin.
- You're supposed to back me up >:
Pfft, as if. I'm just the a local chronicler =P
Looks pretty slick if you ask me. (No one asked me) `Cykron
- Adding my two cents; it does look slick indeed. I like that the top nav bar is pinned, that seems to be quite useful, although I wouldn't keep the sidebar pinned (so it doesn't have that out-of-place scrollbar).
- The function to hide the sidebar is pretty cool, though it doesn't keep the setting when moving to a different page, so there's not much point in it. And I would imagine the benefits of the added screenspace wouldn't work on all pages equally, anyway.
- But yeah, as mentioned, oftentimes there's a ton of blank space on the right side, and the search function could really use some fixing. So I'd vote for a (temporary) revert to the old skin, at least until the search is fixed, because like ET said, that's just a huuuuuuuge usability drop.
- or just make vector the default skin - I had to change preferences to see what's all this about because vector's the best skin anyway »Zapnox«
- Eh, ever since Wikipedia changed to it, it always seemed like the better-looking wiki to me, so when vector appeared here one day, I was pretty happy about that.
- Also, it seems we're back to MonoBook. »Zapnox«
- Fair enough, it's just that I figured since Wikipedia hasn't changed back to their previous skin, most users seem to like Vector. I personally think it's just slightly more modern-looking than MonoBook, but I can see where you're coming from. »Zapnox«
(I actually kind of like defaulting to the new skin because then people can actually report problems about it)
ANYWAY the concept was nice but it looked pretty ugly. If we play around with the layout and colors I can't imagine people would dislike it.
- Bugs I'm still noticing:
- User icon is broken/missing
- No autocomplete search
- Redlinks are black
- Personal notes:
- Still too much whitespace
- I preferred the logo as white text on a blue background.
- I understand that the new layout is still getting some kinks ironed out, so I'm not going to get upset, but I just wanted to point out that it's messing with the tabs of the templates. They all default to the first one, and the rest won't open. And, as noted above, the Era icons are crashing into the quotes, and that's just a hot mess. Things to consider, if you're someone who knows how to deal with web code, which I am not. --Angel Bob (talk) 22:50, 21 September 2014 (CEST)
Yeah, there are definitely kinks to be ironed out, but that is to be expected of a new layout. We just need to chill and let people who know what they're doing fix it. Which means, Dorek fixes it or I get quite visibly upset. You'll be able to see it from space. My upsetness, that is. `Cykron
- S'not my job :U
- But yeah, there are kinks; if nobody reports it, however, it's harder/more time consuming to get said kinks ironed out. This way, we all suffer together <3 -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 23:23, 21 September 2014 (CEST)
Something should really be done about this font. The sidebar on the right hand side looks like a massive pile of SPARTA if you ask me. I know it's a work in progress but we really need something that fits the theme. :P `Cykron
Planets or Moons?
I thought the whole "Are Bota Magna and Aqua Magna moons or separate planets" thing had cooled down, but a recent thread on BZP shows that some members still feel strongly about the issue, and are especially annoyed that BS01 is listing that information. What does the editor community say? Should we trust the original canon documents, or should we go with Greg's more recent answer?
If the Lhikan set debate is anything to go by, policy seems to be to prefer older documents over newer responses. I don't normally support that, but in this case, I agree (mainly because Greg's more recent answer makes no sense from a physics perspective, but that's besides the point). What does the community think? (And, please, no name-calling. Boidoh did not have ill intentions when he originally asked the question.) --Angel Bob (talk) 03:25, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
- If you want to get technical, they're "satellites".
- I mean, if something can exist on the satellite, does that make it a planet/planetoid? The scientific definition would be no. But they are variously referred to as either in the story. To me, it's not a big deal either way, and I have no particular desire to call one more "right" than the other. As long as people understand what is being said (there's no cognitive dissonance in reading the statement), then does it really matter? -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 06:56, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
- I think that doesn't really matter. That's a question of mass and distance, and I don't think these were defined. I don't think that would change a lot if these are a triple planet (see wikipedia:Double planet) or a one planet/two moons system. The only thing that would be problematic, in my opinion, would be to say they do not orbit around Solis Magna together -- because this one was clearly established. maxim21 09:07, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
- I agree with Dorek on this. By definition, Aqua Magna and Bota Magna were satellites, or moons, if you want to be less scientific. It's just like the theory that Earth's moon was formed from a mass of lava that came from earth. --Vartemp 12:17, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
The trouble is, that's exactly what the recent answer goes against. Boidoh asked if Bota Magna and Aqua Magna had their own, separate orbits, and Greg said yes. That answer retcons everything that ever referred to them as satellites/moons; Boidoh's been editing the relevant pages accordingly. This is what I want your opinions on. Do we go with the physics-defying recent answer, or do we ignore it and stick with the published sources? --Angel Bob (talk) 14:24, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
- Somehow I was pretty sure he came back on this one, but after checking I was mistaken - Greg just said he didn't remember what was previously established. I would say we should go with the old version, especially since it doesn't seem to be an intended recton. maxim21 14:53, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
This is a prime example of what has lovingly been coined a "forgetcon."
Greg forgot. He is human, it happens. And he even admitted to it. That seems to me to be a great indicator to go with what was previously established and forget his "revision."
Why it even bloody matters to anyone is beyond me (seriously a lot of the biggest debates lately have just been so trivial I don't get it)... But if there must be a resolution, I'd vote for whatever was believed previously. --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs) 22:50, 3 October 2014 (CEST)
- And again, how are we defining "orbit"? There was the Red Star floating around Aqua Magna, but that'll just go any old place.
- Regardless, this is not a science-heavy work of fiction (and tends to fall apart when it tries...) so yeah, I'm going to go with "nothing needs changing because it doesn't matter". -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 02:27, 4 October 2014 (CEST)
We're finally there! Is anyone else excited I'm excited. Unfortunately, I won't be able to view the announcement until later today. Blasted school. :(
SO. I know everyone will want to add all this info to the wiki ASAP (myself included) but I'd like everyone to please hold off. There needs to be a whole new system for cataloging the new story pages, and The Staff, We Have a Plan.
(And when I say The Staff, We Have a Plan, I really mean: The Staff, We Have a Plan That Most of Us Don't Like All That Much, So We're Hoping the Announcement Will Allow Us to Make a Better Plan.)
Everything will be added, and added soon. Please, though, be a little patient now to save the trouble of a massive amount of rewriting later. :) --Master of the Rahkshi Ask, and ye shall receive. Eventually. 18:31, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- No, we putzed around always saying "we'll do it later". I'm not particularly happy about how it was handled, but I (emphasis on I) have a plan, and by default, that's usually what we go with.
So uh... Subpages for existing characters or what now? - Creepy
I would have had this up ages ago if the wiki moved any faster. I'm going to make templates, just use that page as a reference for the new pages.
- Namespace? Ew...
- Tahu (Gen 2) [as much as I don't like that monicker] would have looked much better and be easier to find in a search... --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- Well aren't we all full of suggestions XP.
- I could do a reboot namespace, but I haven't moved Tahu to the Gen1 namespace yet (I was going to do a disambiguation), so I don't know what I'd call that. Original? Gen 1 and 2 are a lot easier.
- Parentheses are easier for searching (something I didn't consider and something nobody brought up when advocating FOR that...), but there are enough chaotic uses of parentheses as it is (like alternate universes) that I wanted something a bit more universal. I think with a disambig page it'll be a lot easier to work through.
Suggestion for Handling of Reboot
Heya, guys - long time no see. Anway, we over at Chronist-Wiki obviously have to deal with the same reboot problems and we are considering a tab option, one the folks at jedipedia.net have also chosen for the Star Wars canon reboot, but using https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Header_Tabs instead of the complex code the Jedipedians have written. Example: http://www.jedipedia.net/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker Basically, you will still have one page for both original Tahu and reboot Tahu, but a tab will allow you to dynamically switch between them. You can also directly link to a certain tab by using "Tahu#Reboot" and you can also choose which tab is to be displayed as the default one when accessing the article (since Reboot continuity will be what most new users will be coming for, we thought of choosing the Reboot tab). We'd use CSS to make it all look nice, of course. What do you think? --Nuhrii the Metruan (talk) 21:22, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- I had the very same idea! We're still working on implementing it, but that was master plan. Thanks for the mediawiki link, that helps a huge ton. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 21:26, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- This would be sooooo much better! :) --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- It is probably the best idea. Namespaces will make things too tricky with linking, page count etc. and setting up a second wiki for the new canon would be more trouble than it's worth. We are still unsure what to call the two tabs, but yeah, it's probably something we'll be implementing in the next one or two days or so. It'll probably be for the best if both our wikis coordinate on this matter. Fippe, my loyal co-admin, will probably work out the details on our side, I'll just make sure he's got all extensions available that he's got. Man, crazy times... after the Star Wars reboot I, too, had to rework an entire database of Star Wars fiction to factor in multiple continuities, now again with our BIONICLE wiki... but we'll figure it out. :D --Nuhrii the Metruan (talk) 21:38, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- Ahhh, now that sounds like a plan! You have my seal of approval, for what it's worth. --Angel Bob (talk) 21:39, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- For pages that belong to only one continuity (like Mata Nui or Okoto), the idea is to use something like an era icon to mark it or to just have it display one tab. --Nuhrii the Metruan (talk) 21:43, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
Well, I guess I misunderstood. We had kicked around the tabs idea, but I had few issues with it. A. We already have Tabs on pages, so that could get a bit whack, B. How do I know which one people want to search for, and C. If someone actually wants to edit the page (which I'm trying to encourage) all the code would still be there, so that makes it a lot less user-friendly. This is why I was more in for a disambig, but I guess with a set of redirects... I don't know.
I was more leaning toward full separate pages, but also on the same tabbing system, if that makes sense. I still want separate pages, but if we make tabbing system display the new pages as a template, then I think it could work. So the page "Tahu" only actually contains the phrases "Template: TahuGen1, Template: TahuGen2" plus the tab coding, while the actual pages "TahuGen1" and "TahuGen2" are what actually gets edited. Does that make sense? -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 21:26, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- Alright, Dorek, that makes sense. I'd love to see how your solution will look like code-wise, although I am not yet sure if we will also do the "TahuGen1" and "TahuGen2" nomenclature. :D --Nuhrii the Metruan (talk) 22:06, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- That's fine, we don't have to do things identically =P. It's just because we already have tabbing that I feel like it'll conflict somehow, or make the pages hard to load, that I'm a bit leery. The Tahu page is difficult enough as it is to edit, so streamlining the process is my ideal goal. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 22:12, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- I have no problem with streamlining editing processes and keeping the codes apart as long as they are visually represented together. Do you have an estimate when your code will go live? --Nuhrii the Metruan (talk) 22:25, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- Alright. We will probably have a go at our own version of this code tomorrow or on Saturday, depending on when we'll find time for that. And I hear you on your delegating problems, they sound familiar, although I am much better at delegating than I used to be. :D Well, we'll keep you posted on our progress and we'll watch what BS01 will be doing, too. But since it's almost 11 PM here right now, I'll be heading off to bed. Seeya! --Nuhrii the Metruan (talk) 22:41, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- So, upon talking with Metax, the tab system is a lot harder to make work because you can't reference specific sections, which we are known to do. So unless there's some script for being able to pinpoint which section we want, we'd have to settle for linking to the page at large. If I wanted to link to Gen 2 Tahu's weapons section, it would redirect to the original page, and not the unified page we'd want it to display. Metax is for the original idea I had, which is separate pages (and yes, we're probably going to abandon the namespace) but then a clearly marked system to differentiate them. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 23:34, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
Hold the phone here guys!!
TTV is not reporting from NYCC that they're being told that these are the same Toa, but in an unknown new land without their memories! So it's not necessarily a hard reboot and their Star Trek analogy might actually be pretty accurate. There is too much conflicting here and I'd love for some genuine clarification. --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- Well, Greg said it is (www.bzpower.com/board/topic/11221-official-greg-compendium/page-11#entry754012), so unless LEGO comes out and confirms that themselves, I guess we continue with what we're doing. Could you give me a link to that? --Master of the Rahkshi Ask, and ye shall receive. Eventually. 23:59, 9 October 2014 (CEST)
- Okay yeah... I'd go with Greg over them for now too. They could be right, but a more reliable source would probably be better. Sorry for the false alarm...
- here you go. Everything they know so far is there. --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- Yeah, that article is... odd. The whole half the Vahi thing reminds me of that rumor that started in 2001. I mean, we saw the Vahi made; that's it. No broken pieces. It would have to be something completely new by default. And they claim they were explicitly told it's connected to the old universe, which I haven't seen anywhere else.
I'm really liking the tabbing option so far. :) Unfortunately it does indeed totally conflict with other templates, like Parent... Could it perhaps be manipulated to be positioned below the article name? That seems like another suitable natural location to me. --~|RC|~ (Talk/Contribs)
- Yeah, my vote was to shunt it to the right as well, and leave as little awkward white space as possible. Hopefully by tomorrow it should be sorted out. (hooray! I'm impressed at how quick that was...)
- I kind of want to jazz it up a bit also, rather than just having two bars of color there, but I'm not really sure how. Some kind of image, or fancy border design? Maybe change the color based on the page that it displays? *shrug* -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 08:23, 10 October 2014 (CEST)
Extension of Tabbing Format
I love the new Generation 1 / Generation 2 tabs, and I think they'll work really well. I propose extending this tabbing format to AU characters as well, such as Teridax (The Melding Alternate Universe) and the Shadow Takanuva. It will keep the Shadow Takanuva separate and distinct from Takanuva, and prevent them from clogging up his page; in the case of Teridax, it will help link the character pages and just generally look more streamlined. Can I get someone with coding knowledge in on this? Pretty please? --Angel Bob (talk) 22:00, 10 October 2014 (CEST)
- My only issue with that is that it gives the impression that the new "Generations" might also be alternate universes (which is APPARENTLY still debatable, but whatever). It can easily be added, so once we get some other system stuff ironed out we'll look into that. -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 01:06, 11 October 2014 (CEST)
So, you may have noticed that BS01 have been a little laggy lately. And a little crashy. We're working on fixing that. In the process of fixing this, however, we're going to need to take down the wiki for a while. The database will be offline for about an hour tonight, approximately one hour from the time that I post this, but it all depends on how long it takes for our guy to go through the files.
ANYWAYS. Follow the advice of the Hitchiker's Guide and Don't Panic. This isn't a New Dataclysm or anything, you don't need to grab info off your userpages, you don't need to form an angry mob and swarm Swert's house. Thanks for understanding, and we'll be back on track soon. :) --Master of the Rahkshi Ask, and ye shall receive. Eventually. 03:33, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- And here I thought Swert just wasn't paying his bills. -Shine 03:48, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- Aaaaaaaaaand updating's done. We're probably going to be doing more work on the wiki in the future, though, so keep your eyes peeled for announcements. --Master of the Rahkshi Ask, and ye shall receive. Eventually. 05:23, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
Alright, so stuff really needs to be changed on here. I don't want new fans to come here and become confused about the wiki logo being the Three Virtues symbol (which might not even exist in the new BIONICLE). Plus, the masks on the homepage really need to be new Master ones, too. Also, once we get more quotes, images, and whatnot, we should update the "Featured" sections. Just my ideas. Toa Green Ninja (talk) 20:35, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- It's probably a bit too early for all of this. All we have so far is just a minute and a half animation to go off of. Maybe when we get more pictures and what not. --Boidoh (talk) 20:41, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- That's part of it, yeah. Every time the staff sits down and talks about that sort of thing, the end result is almost inevitably 'we need more information.' We'll make up some contingencies to put in place if we reach the launch date and nothing better has shown itself, but for now we're going to hold out for more info. As far as updating the icons and such goes, sure, we could probably do that in a little while. At the moment, though, most if our efforts are going into updating the wiki and fixing the lag issues. --Master of the Rahkshi Ask, and ye shall receive. Eventually. 21:20, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- The masks on the front page could be done soon I guess. I already have 3 of them here in high resolution and transparency. I guess I could do the other 3 and put a color mask over it and put them on the main page... --Meiko (talk) 21:30, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- See the sitenotice. :) --Meiko (talk) 21:51, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
Alright, lemme lay down some facts.
1) The masks on the front page were vector images I made using the set versions as guides. I didn't use flash versions for those. To make six new ones requires me to have time to dedicate myself to making them, and I'm swamped with work as it is.
2) The logo on BS01 should still be the Avohkii/UDD combo, but I have been giving it some thought as to an alternative logo for Gen2. This logo would feature the Mask of Creation, and possibly some form of iconography that ties similar to the UDD. Perhaps Okoto for now? Until we get more, I can't make this logo.
3) To simply ignore the past in an attempt to quell confusion for new members would imply we don't want to highlight the history as well as the future. To me, this is a surefire way of telling the users "Hey guys, remember old Bionicle? TOO BAD. *dumps Database* NEW BIONICLE HERE WE GO!" If I had wanted to do that, I would have done it by now. Basically, BS01 has to cater to two audiences, and I have plans on how to do it. I just need more time to set it up. -- Owner (talk|contribs)
- Maybe the new logo could be a half Avohkii, half Mask of Creation Mask? I would think that to be most appropriate at the moment. --Vartemp 22:33, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- Like I said Swert, I could easily do new vector images for the front page. Also I feel like Boidoh leads onto a good idea, similar to something I brought up to Dorek on Skype earlier (but was joking about at the time. The Avohkii is kind of old and really doesn't mean anything to the storyline or our content (besides the fact that it was significant for one year). It could certainly be a fresh way to enter each year of Bionicle with a new mask in the logo each year or so. Like this year we can have the Mask of Creation. Next year we can have whatever other cool mask there is in this new storyline, etc. --Meiko (talk) 22:52, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the silver Avohkii is from the Toa Sectra days. Maybe we could do something similar where gen2 pages would have a Mask of Creation logo the gen1 pages would keep the current one? That actually wouldn't be too difficult if we used a separate namespace for gen2, but if we're sticking with "(Generation _)" pages I could probably put together something similar using Aki's new tab code. -- (talk) 23:24, 12 October 2014 (CEST)
- It is quite correct, my character uses a Silver Avohkii, though the use of the Avohkii calls back to when we began using the Gold Avohkii on BS01, and before that was a Hau Nuva. I chose to change it to a silver Avohkii, and eventually changed it to the current logo in an attempt to be less ego-centric. Meanwhile, Tahu's mask is done. I'm going to crash for now, but that gives everybody an idea on where I plan to take the other masks. I already installed this one on the main page. -- Owner (talk|contribs) 09:10, 13 October 2014 (CEST)
- Not entirely sure what mask you're referring to. Can you elaborate? -- I AM THE DOREK do not truffle with me 19:28, 15 October 2014 (CEST)
- They're most likely spammers. We reopened user registration yesterday and BS01 seems to be on some sort of spam hitlist. Swert has enacted some security features that will stem the flow somewhat, but some are still getting through. But even though we're almost certain they're spammers, we don't want to just ban the lot of them until they've proven that's what they are. So for, now, we'll just keep an eye on them until they make their move. --Master of the Rahkshi Ask, and ye shall receive. Eventually. 01:25, 21 October 2014 (CEST)
- Until they start making spam edits they aren't of any concern, and when they do start doing so it still isn't much of a concern because it doesn't even take a minute to delete a page and block them. --Meiko (talk) 01:39, 21 October 2014 (CEST)
Did you guys notice in the MNOGI that Nixie, Nokama's astrologer, had a geocentrist chart of the universe with Mata Nui in the center? 05:43, 5 December 2014 (CET)