"Real life physics don't apply in BIONICLE, unless scientists discovered Protodermis yesterday and I wasn't told about it."
— Greg Farshtey
|Job||Generation 1 BIONICLE Books, Comics, and Graphic Novels Author (2001-2010)|
Chief Editor of the LEGO Magazine
Part of the BIONICLE Story Team
Greg Farshtey was born in New York State and spent most of his childhood in Standford, Connecticut. His writing career began with different journalism outlets, such as newspaper reporting.
He began his career with the LEGO Group as an editor for the LEGO Magazine in 2000. He later applied for and became the writer of a comic series that was to accompany the LEGO Group's new BIONICLE range and joined the story team. In 2003, Farshtey was asked to write Tales of the Masks and then replaced Cathy Hapka the following year as author of all BIONICLE books. He has gone on to write books for many other LEGO themes, including LEGO Exo-Force, LEGO Hero Factory, and LEGO Ninjago.
For many years, Greg Farshtey has been editor-in-chief of the LEGO Magazine. He also wrote the web serials on BIONICLEstory.com and voices the narrator and male characters in the audio serials.
While the "Ask Greg" service was active on BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com (in 2007), fans could ask him questions about the story. The questions were filtered by the web team, and select ones were answered and posted on the site.
Greg Farshtey is a member of BZPower, this Wiki, and other BIONICLE fansites by the username of GregF. He made a point to kindly answer many questions asked by fans (via Personal Messenger on BZPower and other means elsewhere), though he began a hiatus from most of these sites in 2011. In 2013, Greg began to use a topic on the LEGO Message Boards to answer questions posted by fans about any of his works. However, on February 28, 2017, new posts were no longer accepted on the LEGO Message Boards, and on March 6, 2017 the boards—and thus Chat with Greg Farshtey—were taken offline completely.
On May 22, 2017, the TTV Message Boards opened an "Ask Greg" category in which fans may pose questions to Greg Farshtey.
Greg has a daughter, Alexandria Marie Farshtey, born September 4, 2010 to his then-wife Jackina Farshtey. They have since divorced.
"Just wanted to say a quick something --
A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.
Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves."
— Greg Farshtey
- The image used for this article was taken with former BIONICLEsector01 General Manager Darnzerf while Greg was holding the image of a previous BIONICLEsector01 advertisement. Darnzerf was cropped from this photo.
- Greg Farshtey's favorite BIONICLE book is Time Trap, and he enjoyed writing sub-plot books the most.
- Farshtey's overall favorite BIONICLE character is Kopaka, because he is the very first character he ever wrote about,[OGD: Jul 20 2007, 01:40 PM] and his least favorite are the Vahki, because they were very basic, clone enemies.
- Farshtey's favorite BIONICLE characters to write about are Kopaka, Vezon, and Teridax. His least favorite are characters that use Chutespeak.
- Farshtey's favorite element is Ice.
- Farshtey's ex-wife, Jackina, assisted Greg with the BIONICLEstory podcasts in offering her voice for some female characters.
- For the 2015 revival of the theme, Greg acted as a creative consultant.
- Greg's BZPower Blog
- Greg Farshtey on Brickipedia
- "Chat with Greg Farshtey" on the LEGO Message Boards
|Authors||Greg Farshtey | Cathy Hapka | Jeff James | Alastair Swinnerton | Ryder Windham|
|Artists||Ulises Arreola | Richard Bennett | Jeremy Brazeal | Carlos D'Anda | Toby Dutkiewicz | Randy Elliott | Brian Ellis | Christian Faber | Nathan Furst | Leigh Gallagher | Ray Kryssing|
Duane Loose | John McCormack | Dave Max | Pop Mhan | Peter Pantazis | Zdenko Santini | Stuart Sayger | Alex Sinclair | Lars Thorstensen | Dave White | Christian Zanier
|BIONICLE.com Webmasters||Kelly McKiernan | Leah Weston Kaae|
|Designers||Martin Riber Andersen | David Bird | Jeffrey Alan Davies | Brian Ellis | Esben Fløe | Erland Refling Nielsen | Michael T. Jeppesen | Jan Kjær|
Daniel Lipkowitz | Christoffer Raundahl | Christoph Röttjer | Andre Sang-Tae Stenbryggen | Torben Skov | Lars Thygesen | Jes Vestergaard
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets