The Great Beings, in need of assistance in leading the inhabitants of Spherus Magna, selected one leader class Skrall and several warriors to represent the most populous tribes: Fire, Water, Jungle, Sand, Rock, Earth, and Ice. The warriors were summoned to the Cavern of the Elements in the Underground Lab of the Great Beings and were endowed with the elements, creating the Element Lords. Changed by the transformation, they became unified with their elements and were bestowed with armor and weapons. They eventually became the leaders of the planet, commanding the tribes from which they hailed. The Element Lords coexisted together without incident for several thousand years.
After the discovery of Energized Protodermis, the Element Lords expected to share in the enormous power the substance possessed. The Element Lord of Ice, ruler of the domain in which it was discovered, refused to allow them access, and barricaded the area. Outraged, the Lords each began vying for control over it, leading to the Core War. The Great Beings later insisted that they sit down and negotiate a truce, but the Element Lords rebuffed their creators, and continued their war campaigns. During the war, the Element Lord of Jungle used his powers to create the Forest of Blades. The Element Lord of Fire's servitors seized the Energized Protodermis Spring and attempted to tap its power, causing the planet to shatter, and the seven Element Lords were trapped.
The Element Lords were eventually freed, and made their way towards the north, seeking the power in the Valley of the Maze. About 100,000 years after the war, the Element Lord of Fire and Element Lord of Ice encountered each other in the White Quartz Mountains and began fighting. The Element Lord of Jungle later encountered Tarduk and Crotesius in the Forest of Blades, during their pursuit of the secret of the Red Star, though he was injured by Kirbold lighting the forest on fire.
The Element Lord of Water dragged the three Agori into the river Dormus as they were attempting to cross it. He kept them suspended in air bubbles, allowing them to breathe and talk. He demanded that the Agori inform him of the route, and the Agori claimed to know the way. The Element Lord of Water threatened them with unceasing torture, but was taken aback by their refusal to cooperate. After agreeing to let them lead the way, the Lord of Water was attacked by the Lord of Ice, who began freezing the river. The Lord of Water fled, in order to escape death.
The Agori were helped out of the water by the Element Lord of Rock, who then dropped a massive boulder onto the ice, shattering it. The Lord of Rock crafted a stone replica of Tarduk, which he used to speak to them. He initially tried to dissuade the Agori from continuing their quest, but eventually allowed them to continue onward, under the condition that they take nothing with them from the Valley of the Maze, for he wanted its power for himself.
In this universe, the Great Beings created the Toa to stop the Shattering before it could occur, and ended the Core War. The Element Lords were removed from power, and the Makuta were created to oversee the tribes in their stead.
Abilities and Traits
The Element Lords, as manifestations of different elements, have the abilities to create, control, and absorb their own element, a result of the transformation process. The level of control over the elements possessed by them is extremely high, and they are impervious to the effects of their own elements. They eventually adopted the personality traits of their element, and act accordingly.
The Lords can project their own consciousness onto an element, manifesting the element into certain shapes or forms without them being present. If their essence is affected, it affects their original form as well.
Known Element Lords
The seven Element Lords possess the following elemental affiliations and former dominions:
- Element Lord of Fire, ruler of the region around the Great Volcano
- Element Lord of Water, ruler of the Great Sea
- Element Lord of Jungle, ruler of the Great Jungle
- Element Lord of Rock, ruler of the Black Spike and White Quartz mountain ranges and the Skrall Homeland
- Element Lord of Sand, ruler of the Great Barren
- Element Lord of Ice, ruler of the Northern Frost
- Element Lord of Earth
"Why? Because at the end of the way, there is power to be had. Power enough to end the war the only way it can end. With a victory for one of us."
— The Element Lord of Water, Riddle of the Great Beings
- The Great Beings based the elemental powers of the Toa on those of the Element Lords.
- The Element Lords do have individual names, but are only referred as the Element Lord of their respective elements.
- The Great Beings never created an Element Lord of Iron because the Iron Tribe disbanded before the experiment took place.
- The Element Lords were intended to feature as antagonists in the unproduced fifth Bionicle movie, in which Tuma would have attempted to form an alliance with them by bringing them all to the Valley of the Maze through a Skrall envoy collecting pieces of each of their substances. However, the cancellation of this movie left this storyline non-canon, and the fate of the Element Lords was left unknown.
- The Element Lords are likely of mixed gender. This suggests that the Element Lord of Sand and Earth are female as the other five Element Lords are described with male pronouns in Riddle of the Great Beings.
|| | | | | ||
|| | | ||
|| | ( ) ( ) | | | | ||
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets