The BIONICLE storyline features many Characters with varying personalities, traits, and places of residence.
This page lists characters who reside in the prime reality. For characters who reside in other realities, see Characters/Alternate Characters.
Below is a list of characters that have occupied the planet of Spherus Magna.
Scientist-kings of Spherus Magna, known for their numerous creations.
- Angonce - A Great Being who the Sisters of the Skrall believe can teach them to become more powerful
- Heremus - One of the Great Beings who worked on the Baterra
- Velika - A Great Being who was in the Matoran Universe for 100,000 years, posing as a Po-Matoran.
- Cursed Great Being - A Great Being who touched the Kanohi Ignika and was driven insane by its curse.
The Agori are a species native to Spherus Magna and are its primary inhabitants.
- Atakus - A Rock Tribe Agori who assists the Skrall
- Berix - A Water Tribe Agori who specializes in salvaging and repairing old equipment
- Crotesius - An ambitious vehicle pilot from the Fire Tribe that desires to be leader of Vulcanus
- Kirbold - An Agori from the Ice Tribe who traveled with Tarduk and Crotesius on their expedition to find the Red Star
- Kirbraz - A competitive vehicle pilot from the Water Tribe, partnered with Scodonius
- Kyry - A young Fire Tribe Agori with a strong sense of duty
- Lein - A Jungle Tribe Agori who set up a trading post on Bota Magna; now deceased
- Metus - Former Ice Tribe Agori who hired and trained Glatorian, transformed into a snake, now changed back
- Raanu - A Fire Tribe Agori and the leader of Vulcanus
- Sahmad - One of the few remaining Agori from the Iron Tribe who sold Agori slaves to the Rock Tribe
- Scodonius - A boastful vehicle pilot from the Water Tribe, partnered with Kirbraz
- Tarduk - A treasure hunting Agori of the Jungle Tribe
- The Zesk - Agori of the Sand Tribe, who have regressed into beasts
- Hero Agori - An Agori recruited by Raanu to help Vulcanus
The Glatorian were warriors in the Core War and later champion fighters hired by the Agori tribes on Bara Magna. They fought for resources claimed by two or more tribes. Currently, they act as a defense force for the Agori.
- Ackar - An older but more skilled Glatorian who believed he was getting too old to be a fighter. He is a good friend of Mata Nui and leader of the united village defense force
- Certavus - A skilled and respected Glatorian; now deceased
- Gelu - A retired Glatorian that once worked for the Ice Tribe
- Gresh - A young, idealistic Glatorian and an ally of Mata Nui
- Kiina - A pushy female Glatorian and friend of Ackar and Mata Nui
- Malum - A Glatorian who once fought for the Fire Tribe. He was exiled to the Wastelands for crimes in the arena and now leads a pack of Vorox
- Perditus - A vehicle combat Glatorian for the Fire Tribe
- Strakk - A mercenary Glatorian who is a dirty fighter in the arena, now exiled for attacking Ackar after conceding
- Tarix - A Glatorian who is considered a fair foe in the arena; winner of a thousand battles
- Vastus - A Glatorian who fights out of guilt for having fought in the Core War
- The Skrall - A species of brutal warriors with a desire to conquer all of Bara Magna. After the defeat of Tuma, their forces were scattered, but some groups are still active
- Branar - A Skrall who was given a name by Tuma for surviving the first attack from the Baterra
- Stronius - A special forces Skrall who was the first to incapacitate a Baterra
- Tuma - The only remaining member of the leader class of Skrall and former leader of the Rock Tribe. Abandoned by his tribe after being defeated by Mata Nui
- The Vorox - Once a race of proud warriors, now a sub-species of beasts that dwell in the Bara Magna Wastelands
- Kabrua - An intelligent Vorox tribe leader from Bota Magna who attacked a group of Toa and Gelu who were searching for the Great Beings.
Former members of the warrior class endowed with Elemental Powers by the Great Beings in order to help them govern the people of Spherus Magna; eventually led the planet's inhabitants into the Core War.
- Element Lord of Fire - The former leader of the Fire Tribe
- Element Lord of Water - The former leader of the Water Tribe
- Element Lord of Jungle - The former leader of the Jungle Tribe
- Element Lord of Sand - The former leader of the Sand Tribe
- Element Lord of Rock - The former leader of the Rock Tribe
- Element Lord of Ice - The former leader of the Ice Tribe
- Element Lord of Earth - The leader of the Earth Tribe
- Annona - An ancient entity native to Spherus Magna who existed before the Great Beings and was responsible for the decimation of the Iron Tribe.
- Baterra - A group of mechanical shapeshifters designed by the Great Beings to kill every armed being and put an end to the Core War.
- Fero - One of the most skilled Bone Hunters.
- Marendar - A living weapon designed by the Great Beings to destroy Toa.
- Mata Nui - Former ruler of the Matoran Universe, later a warrior on Bara Magna.
- Sisters of the Skrall - An organization consisting entirely of female Skrall. They possess psychic powers and have a deep hatred for the male members of the Rock Tribe.
- Surel - A crippled warrior who once fought in the Core War on Spherus Magna.
- Telluris - A warrior from the Iron Tribe who piloted the Skopio XV-1; now deceased.
Below is a list of primary characters that lived in the Matoran Universe prior to migrating to Spherus Magna.
- Mata Nui - Mata Nui is the Great Spirit, revered by Matoran, whose body contained the Matoran Universe. His body was taken over by Makuta Teridax and his spirit cast into space within the the Mask of Life, eventually landing on Bara Magna and forming a Glatorian body. He temporarily inhabited the Prototype Robot to take on Teridax at the Battle of Bara Magna, and finally retreated back into the Mask of Life after the Prototype Robot collapsed.
Matoran are the main inhabitants of the Matoran Universe, who resided on various islands and landmasses inside the universe before its destruction. Their labors were integral to the continued health of the Great Spirit. A small group of Matoran also lived on the islands of Mata Nui and Voya Nui, which were situated outside the Matoran Universe, for 1000 years after the Great Cataclysm.
Below are notable groups of Matoran who have played an active part in the storyline. Sub-species, along with notable individuals, can be found on the Matoran page.
- Chronicler's Company - A group of Matoran who helped defend the temple of Kini-Nui against attacking Rahi
- Voya Nui Resistance Team - A small resistance group formed to defeat the Piraka
- Nynrah Ghosts - A group of expert crafters on the islands of Nynrah and Xia
Toa are the primary protectors of the Matoran Universe, and guard various islands and populations from evil forces. Below are a list of the main Toa teams, along with several notable individuals.
- Helryx - The first Toa and the leader of the Order of Mata Nui
- Takanuva - The first Toa of Light, formerly a Matoran named Takua.
- Toa Hagah - A group of Toa who were assigned to guard Teridax, now freelance Toa
- Toa Inika - Six Matoran from Metru Nui who were transformed into Toa by lightning that descended from the Red Star
- Toa Mangai - Lhikan's Toa Team, the first Toa Team to defend Metru Nui
- Toa Mata - A group of Toa destined to awaken Mata Nui and defeat Teridax, later transformed into the Toa Nuva
- Toa Metru - Six Matoran who received Toa Stones from Toa Lhikan and were transformed into Toa
- Other Toa - Other Toa that exist or existed in the Matoran Universe and/or the Red Star
Turaga are the final stage of the Matoran species' life. After achieving their destiny and sacrificing all of their power, a Toa will become a Turaga. Making use of their knowledge and experiences as Toa and Matoran, they serve as leaders of the Matoran. Turaga are capable of using Kanohi masks and elemental powers, but not to the extent of a Toa.
- Dume - Head Turaga of Metru Nui
- Jovan - Turaga of Voya Nui; now deceased
- Lhikan - Turaga of Metru Nui; now deceased
- Matau - Former Turaga of Le-Koro, then a Turaga of Metru Nui
- Nokama - Former Turaga of Ga-Koro, then a Turaga of Metru Nui
- Nuju - Former Turaga of Ko-Koro, then a Turaga of Metru Nui
- Onewa - Former Turaga of Po-Koro, then a Turaga of Metru Nui
- Vakama - Former Turaga of Ta-Koro, then a Turaga of Metru Nui
- Whenua - Former Turaga of Onu-Koro, then a Turaga of Metru Nui
In the Matoran Universe are a large number of factions, each with various individuals who command, fight, or serve their factions. Below are a list of known factions in the Matoran Universe, and individual characters can be found in their respective pages.
- Barraki - A group originally consisting of six warlords, now reduced to four in their numbers
- Hand of Artakha - A faction that was dedicated to carrying out the will of the Great Spirit, Mata Nui; Now disbanded
- Brotherhood of Makuta - One of the evil sources in the Matoran Universe; Disbanded
- Dark Hunters - A band of thieves and mercenaries
- Order of Mata Nui - A secretive faction who replaced the Hand of Artakha that serves the will of Mata Nui
The residents of the Matoran Universe are also assisted by various types of robots. These machines have various jobs, from protecting the resident Matoran to managing tasks regarding the Great Spirit Mata Nui himself. The following are a list of such machinery, and individual variations can be found on their respective pages.
- Bohrok - Mechanical insectoids that bear Elemental Powers. They are driven by creatures called Krana, which are controlled by the Bahrag, the queens of the swarms.
- Bohrok Va - Scouts and couriers for the Bohrok
- Bohrok-Kal - An elite team of Bohrok made to awaken the Bahrag queens
- Exo-Toa - Powerful suits of armor created by the Matoran slaves of the Brotherhood of Makuta. The Toa Mata once used them to fight against the Bahrag, and the armor fought the Bohrok-Kal on their own.
- Kraahu - Specialized enforcers on Metru Nui
- Kralhi - Prototype Vahki
- Kranua - Specialized enforcers on Metru Nui
- Maxilos - Guardians of The Pit
- Nektann - Attack and defense machines used by the Skakdi race
- Vahki - The law-enforcers on Metru Nui
Fusions are characters formed when two or more beings are joined together in body and spirit to form one, usually more powerful, being. Most fusions are called "Kaita," and below are a list of the main groups of fusions and notable fusions. Individual fusions within a group can be found on their respective pages.
- Bohrok Kaita - Fusions or Kaita formed by the Bohrok
- Matoran Kaita - Fusion formed by three Matoran
- Matoran Nui - Fusion formed by six Matoran
- Piraka Fusion - A fusion of Vezok and Reidak created by the Spear of Fusion
- Prototype - A Dark Hunter created by fusion of a Toa of Fire and a Toa of Earth by the power of the Spear of Fusion
- Rahkshi Kaita - Fusions or Kaita formed by the Rahkshi
- Golden-Skinned Being - a fusion of the Piraka, a Vortixx, a Zyglak, and a laborer from Stelt created when all of those beings were thrown into a pool of Energized Protodermis.
- Takutanuva - A fusion of Takanuva and Teridax, controlling both Light and Shadow
- Toa Kaita - Fusions or Kaita formed by Toa
- Turaga Kaita - A fusion formed by three Turaga of different elements
- Turaga Nui - A fusion formed by six Turaga of different elements
Below is a list of notable characters of the Matoran Universe who do not fit into any of the categories above.
- Artakha - The ruler of the legendary Matoran refuge that bears his name
- Bahrag - The Bahrag, Cahdok and Gahdok, are the queens and commanders of the Bohrok swarm.
- Energized Protodermis - A sentient substance which can shape itself into whatever it wills. It has the power to either transform or destroy a being or object, depending on the destiny of that being or object.
- Karzahni - The former ruler of Karzahni, a desolate land where Matoran were sent for repair
- Karzahni - An intelligent plant made by Teridax that was later abandoned in favor of the Morbuzakh.
- Keetongu - A legendary Rahi who follows the Three Virtues of Mata Nui and can counteract the effects of Hordika Venom. He changed the Toa Hordika back to Toa Metru after the Battle of Metru Nui.
- Krahka - A female shape-shifting Rahi and the last of her species. She originally opposed the Toa Metru, but eventually fought alongside them against the Visorak.
- Nektann - A prime Skakdi warlord
- Nocturn - A Pit prisoner who served the Barraki
- Tren Krom - An ancient being created by the Great Beings to run the Matoran Universe while it was still being built. He held the knowledge of how the universe worked as well as why it worked.
- Vezon - An insane Skakdi, formerly a brief member of the Piraka
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets