"The red star had hovered above the island of Mata Nui in the days when Kopaka and his allies first arrived. Much later, he and the others learned that the star was in fact some kind of booster rocket system used by the Mata Nui robot to break free of a planet’s gravitational pull. It was not a true star, but an engine."
— Narrator, The Powers That Be
|Users||Kestora, Mata Nui, Teridax|
|Function||Help Mata Nui robot break free from gravitational pull of planets, replenish resources of the robot|
|Status||Orbiting Spherus Magna|
In addition, beings who died inside the Matoran Universe were transported to the Red Star, where they would be placed in a new body and sent back, in order to conserve the finite resources that the Great Spirit Robot possessed.
The Red Star was created by the Great Beings on Spherus Magna before the creation of the Mata Nui robot. The Great Beings later placed several Kestora inside of the star. The Red Star followed Mata Nui throughout the universe as he observed planets, orbiting around each new world that he investigated.
The Red Star also received the deceased beings from the Matoran Universe. However, shortly after Gaardus's revival, the Red Star malfunctioned, and the beings were unable to be returned to the Matoran Universe, frustrating the Kestora.
After Mata Nui crashed into Aqua Magna, the star slowly moved into orbit around the planet. The population of Matoran from Metru Nui, after arriving on the island that Mata Nui uses to disguise himself, began observing the star, basing prophecies off of the constellations it formed. The Red Star also projected the Spirit Stars of Toa who were outside the Matoran Universe.
When Jaller, Hahli, Kongu, Nuparu, Matoro, and Hewkii were escaping from Karzahni's realm in Toa Canisters, a failsafe caused lightning from the Red Star to strike the canisters and transform the six Matoran into the Toa Inika, Toa charged with a lightning energy. The Toa Inika then combined their powers to unintentionally create six Spirit Stars, which went into orbit around the Red Star.
Gali was tasked with looking at the Red Star through the Great Telescope as instructed by a scroll left by the Great Beings. She was meant to record its position, but while looking at it she used her Akaku Nuva to zoom in to the star. She was able to see inside of it, and she discovered the beings that are living inside the Red Star.
Teridax, in the body of the Great Spirit, used the Red Star to depart from Aqua Magna.
When Spherus Magna was reformed, the Red Star began to orbit that new planet. A former inhabitant of the Star and altered Matoran, Gaardus, later encountered Toa Nuva Kopaka and Pohatu, and was convinced to take them to the Red Star. Upon arriving, they met some of the Kestora, who threatened to kill them. After disarming them and a brief discussion, Kopaka froze the Kestora solid and he and Pohatu started looking for a way to get back to Spherus Magna since Gaardus had teleported away. The Toa quickly became surrounded by creatures aboard the star, but were rescued due to the appearance of the Onu-Matoran, Mavrah.
The Red Star, like the Matoran Universe, is made of Protodermis. It houses a population of Kestora, as well as the formerly dead inhabitants of the Matoran Universe. The Red Star uses a power source comparable to Mata Nui's, and contains Energized Protodermis.
While in space, the Red Star was attached to Mata Nui's upper back. When the Great Spirit descended to a planet, the Red Star remained in orbit above him. Once Mata Nui was prepared to leave the planet, the Red Star provided him with extra power to lift off. By the time Mata Nui was in space, the Red Star had re-attached. However, it was and is not capable of faster-than-light travel.
The Red Star was also meant to keep the population of the Matoran Universe stable. Beings who died in the Matoran Universe were transported to the Red Star, where they would be placed in a new body, and then be returned back to the robot in order to continue working. (This system did not work with all beings. Beings whose bodies or minds were destroyed beyond repair, or were not composed of Protodermis, such as the Makuta, could not be revived on the Red Star.) The return function eventually broke down, and newly-revived beings were consequently trapped on the Red Star, unable to be teleported back. Additionally, while revived beings were intended to retain their memories and intact mental functions, the traumatic process of revival resulted in many beings' thoughts being scrambled.
The Red Star possesses a device on board capable of dispensing energy to its inhabitants to prevent starvation.
The Red Star is also capable of creating new Toa from Matoran outside the Matoran Universe as a failsafe, complete with Spirit Stars projected from the Red Star.
- The Kestora
- Revived beings
- Ihu 
- Turaga Jovan
- Turaga Lhikan
- The Nynrah Ghosts who mutated Gaardus
- The Nynrah Ghosts who created the Fohrok
- A Ga-Matoran drowned by Tuyet
- A Le-Matoran murdered by Tuyet
- Many Toa of Iron and Magnetism killed by the Brotherhood of Makuta
- Makoki Stone Guard Team
- A team of Toa on the Northern Continent killed off as part of a Dark Hunter plot
- A Toa of Sonics killed by Hakann and Avak
- Various Toa of Water killed by Hakann
- A Toa of Gravity killed by Lariska
- A Toa supposedly killed by the Dark Hunter Charger, from whom the latter got his tool
- A Toa who visited Nynrah to secure a deal; he went after the Dark Hunters after the theft of the prototype Zamor Launchers and was killed
- A Toa who wore a Kanohi Suletu and died on the way to Karzahni
- A group of Turaga killed by Lurker
- A male Vortixx who was trying to clear away some rubble to find a set of hidden viruses; killed by The Shadowed One
- A Dark Hunter who went to Airwatcher's homeland with a partner; killed by Airwatcher
- Some Dark Hunters in ships around Zakaz; all killed by the Zyglak and Skakdi
- An untold number of Dark Hunters killed in the Dark Hunter/Brotherhood of Makuta War
- An untold number of Dark Hunters died on various missions
- A four-armed agent of Order of Mata Nui who carried a multi-bladed axe; killed by accelerated aging from Voporak's time field
- While searching through ruins outside the Arena Magna on Bara Magna, the Agori Tarduk discovered part of a map depicting the Red Star and the facility where it was built on the planet before Mata Nui left. His interest piqued, he gathered fellow Agori Crotesius and Kirbold and set out on a journey, albeit an unsuccessful one, to discover its meaning.
- Beings composed of Antidermis cannot be revived on the Red Star.
- The Red Star's teleportation powers have a range of 22,300 miles.
- BZPower: Red Star Revelations, 17. October 2012
- BZPower: Farshtey Feed, 1. May 2009
- BZPower: Farshtey Feed, 21. November 2009
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 13. May 2014
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 15. August 2014 (archive)
- BZPower: GregF Answers 2, 28. November 2012
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 3. November 2014
- BZPower: GregF Answers, 13. November 2012 (archive)
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 7. September 2013 (archive)
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 28. April 2014 (archive)
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 29. April 2014 (archive)
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 10. August 2014 (archive)
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 29. July 2014
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 12. March 2015
- Chat with Greg Farshtey, 17. January 2015
|Metru Nui||Airship (Cargo Hauler) | Archives Transport Cart | Chutes | Cargo Loader | Moto-Sled | Vahki Transport (The Lhikan I & Lhikan II)|
|Karda Nui||Axalara T9 | Jetpacks | Jetrax T6 | Rockoh T3 | Skyboard | Skyfighter | Swamp Strider|
|Others||Boats | Destral Cycle | Red Star | Toa Canisters | Visorak Battle Rams|
|see full list|
|Spherus Magna (Aqua Magna | Bara Magna | Bota Magna) | Red Star|
|Metru Nui (Maze of Shadows) | Karzahni | Zakaz | Xia (The Mountain) | Northern Continent (Tren Krom Peninsula) | Artakha | Stelt | Odina | Southern Continent (Voya Nui) | Karda Nui | The Pit | Destral | Nynrah | Tren Krom's Island | Visorak | Daxia | Southern Islands (Artidax)|
|Field of Shadows | City of Silver|
|The Melding | Spherus Magna | Toa Empire | The Kingdom|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Creatures | Rahi | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media | Sets