|Known Locations||Metru Nui, Mata Nui (both formerly),|
Muaka are powerful, tiger-like Rahi.
Due to their immunity to stasis, few Muaka were ever placed in the Archives, though several awake specimens were kept in a marked area. Toa Metru Whenua once encountered a Rahkshi in the Archives, and released a Muaka from its pen to distract it while he rescued Tehutti. When Teridax caused the Great Cataclysm, many Muaka migrated to the island of Mata Nui. Teridax enlisted them in his Rahi army, placing them under his control through the use of Infected Kanohi. He would often pair his infected Muaka with infected Kane-Ra. These two creatures would not naturally coexist and thus would not work together, but Teridax liked to pair their strength together to form an elite attack force.
After the Toa Mata arrived, Teridax concentrated his attack on them, utilizing his Rahi to the fullest extent. Once Lewa had recovered a Kanohi, he was ambushed by infected Nui-Rama, who knocked him out of the air into the waiting jaws of a Muaka. Onua dispatched the creature and rescued Lewa.
Takua also encountered a Muaka in The Drifts of Ko-Wahi. The beast attacked him and Matoro, who had found Takua lost in the Drifts. Kopaka arrived and saved the Matoran, backing the beast to the edge of a cliff using his Kanohi Huna and Mahiki, and breaking off part of the glacier, sending the Muaka plummeting to the mountain below.
Teridax later assigned large amounts of Rahi, including Muaka, to attack Kini-Nui while the Toa Mata attempted to confront him. These Rahi conflicted with various Matoran military that had come to defend the sacred location. Eventually, the Matoran succeeded in repelling the Rahi, and the animals retreated after the defeat of Teridax. Teridax relinquished his hold over the Rahi, and the Muaka prowled the jungles of Mata Nui as they had before.
There have been two known instances of unique Muaka, one of which was mutated by Teridax's experiments. The Muaka mutated by Teridax had sharp protrusions extending from its legs, armor along its back and sides, and extra fangs. The Toa Metru encountered this creature while descending through Teridax's lair, and it warned the Toa Metru not to return to Metru Nui when Nokama communicated with it using her Kanohi Rau. The fate of this mutated Muaka is unknown, but it is known that it is related in some way with Nektann's Muaka.
The other was a Muaka that had been mutated into a Hordika. It encountered and clashed with Toa Hordika Vakama, but fled when Vakama accidentally charged up his Rhotuka. It had long, saber-like fangs and back legs in place of treads.
Abilities and Traits
The Muaka have long, sharp claws and teeth, and a muscular neck that could extend several bios to snatch up prey. Able to bring down almost any prey and inimical with Rahkshi, the Muaka have a liking for them, considering this prey a delicacy. A Muaka can decimate an entire Rahkshi colony in a matter of days. They are incredibly swift and powerful, and are thus feared by Matoran. Muaka were most commonly found in the jungles of Le-Wahi. They are immune to stasis.
A Muaka set was released in 2001 packaged with a Kane-Ra. Along with the Kane-Ra, the set contained 647 pieces. Squeezing its midsection caused the neck to thrust forward and the jaws to open then quickly snap shut. This was advertised as a means for the Muaka and Kane-Ra to battle one another or a Toa Mata set. Its two infected masks (the only ones to be included on a Rahi set) were attached to rods holding its legs on. These rods, when removed from its shoulders (as was intended to happen when a Kane-Ra set grabbed the mask with its jaws) would make the legs drop off as if in injury. The two could be combined to create a Kuma-Nui.
- The only known enemy of the Muaka is the Fusa.
- The Muaka are also cousins of the smaller Shallows Cat.
- While the Toa Inika were in the Zone of Nightmares, an illusion of a Muaka was spawned from one of the Toa's memories. Hahli fought the Rahi, and accidentally killed it. Afterwards, the Muaka turned into Onua Nuva.
- BIONICLE Adventures 1: Mystery of Metru Nui
- Comic 2: Deep into Darkness
- Comic 3: Triumph of the Toa
- BIONICLE Chronicles 4: Tales of the Masks
- BIONICLE Adventures 5: Voyage of Fear (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Adventures 6: Maze of Shadows (Mutated Specimen)
- BIONICLE 3: Web of Shadows (Mutated Specimen)
- Comic 2: Vengeance of Axonn (Mentioned Only; Used in a Saying)
- BIONICLE Legends 5: Inferno (As an Illusion)
- The Mutran Chronicles (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Legends 9: Shadows in the Sky (Mentioned Only)
- Dark Mirror (In an Alternate Universe)
- Destiny War (Altered Specimen)
- BIONICLE: The Official Guide to BIONICLE
- BIONICLE: Rahi Beasts
- BIONICLE: Dark Hunters (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia Updated
- Mata Nui Online Game
- BIONICLE: Quest for the Masks (Non-canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE: Quest for Makuta (Non-canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE: Matoran Adventures (Non-canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE: The Game (Non-canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE Heroes (DS version; Non-canonical Appearance)
|BIONICLE Sets of 2001|
|Small||Standard||Vakama | Matau | Onewa | Nokama | Nuju | Whenua|
|Special||Huki | Onepu | Maku | Jala | Kongu | Matoro|
|Canister||Pohatu | Onua | Gali | Tahu | Lewa | Kopaka|
|Large||Manas | Muaka & Kane-Ra | Nui-Jaga | Nui-Rama | Tarakava|
|Collectible||Kanohi | Power Pack|
|see full list|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Fauna | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media