"For as far back as any Matoran villager could recall, the towering peak of Mount Valmai had looked down over Voya Nui. Despite the danger it represented - it was, after all, an extremely active volcano - the mountain was regarded as a guardian that would always be there."
— Narrator, Power Play
|Location||Voya Nui, Southern Continent|
During the creation of the Matoran Universe, two Great Beings blasted a hole into the mountainside and carved the 777 Stairs into the volcano, placing many traps within it. They created the Chamber of Life at the end of the staircase, and placed the Kanohi Ignika inside it. They later dispatched Umbra into the mountain to guard the Kanohi Ignika.
When the six Piraka arrived on Voya Nui, they attempted to empty the volcano by enslaving the Matoran and forcing them to dig trenches which disposed of the lava, in an endeavour to obtain the Ignika. During work, some of the Matoran were knocked into the volcano. After a battle with the Toa Nuva, the other five Piraka were ordered by Zaktan to throw the Toa into the crater of the volcano. An eruption started as they traveled up the mountain, however, and the Piraka abandoned the Toa and fled before finishing the job. The Toa Nuva escaped shortly afterwards. After the Toa Inika arrived on Voya Nui, they liberated the Matoran, stopping the draining of the volcano.
- The word "Valmai" is a word in an ancient Matoran dialect that few would recognize. Valmai does not translate literally, but the closest translation is "cursed place."
- BIONICLE Legends 1: Island of Doom (First Appearance)
- Comic 1: If a Universe Ends
- BIONICLE Legends 2: Dark Destiny
- Comic 2: Vengeance of Axonn
- BIONICLE Legends 3: Power Play
- BIONICLE: Journey's End (Not Mentioned by Name)
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia Updated (Mentioned Only)
- Piraka Online Animations (Non-canonical Appearance)
- Voya Nui Online Game (Non-canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE Heroes (Non-Canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE Challenge (Non-canonical Appearance)
|Mount Valmai (Lake of Lava) | Lake of Protodermis | The Green Belt | Desert of Sorrows | Nui Caves | Ring of Ice | Cape of No Hope | Lagoon Entrance|
|Solis Magna||Spherus Magna (Aqua Magna | Bara Magna | Bota Magna) | Red Star|
|Metru Nui (Maze of Shadows) | Karzahni | Zakaz | Xia (The Mountain) | Northern Continent (Tren Krom Peninsula) | Artakha | Stelt | Odina | Southern Continent (Voya Nui) | Karda Nui | The Pit | Destral | Nynrah | Tren Krom's Island | Visorak | Daxia | Southern Islands (Artidax)|
|Field of Shadows | City of Silver|
|The Melding | Spherus Magna | Toa Empire | The Kingdom|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Fauna | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media