Parent Page: Society
The Ta-Koro Guard
|Location(s)||All areas of the universe|
|Purpose(s)||Defense, Campaigns of conquest|
|Effects||Locations are defended/conquered|
In the BIONICLE storyline, several groups have created Military organizations to be both instruments of conquest and defense forces.
After inhabitants discovered Energized Protodermis on the planet, they began warring over it in a conflict known as the Core War. The Element Lords were the military leaders of this conflict, leading armies of soldiers of whom many would become Glatorian later in life. The six military factions during the Core War were:
After the Shattering, the tribes which had warred on Spherus Magna continued to exist, but only the Rock Tribe remained a military faction.
The Fire, Water, Jungle, and Ice Tribes later formed a united army of Glatorian and Agori to combat the Rock Tribe's Skrall forces and Bone Hunter allies in the Battle of Roxtus, but this army was dissolved in the battle's aftermath and the Glatorian regrouped as a defense force for the united tribes. It was later rearranged during the Battle of Bara Magna to defend citizens from Rahkshi and Skakdi, and dissolved once more when the conflict ended.
Military forces on Bara Magna continued to use Core War-era weapons and vehicles that had survived the Shattering, as well as those which they were able to restore or improvise into usable equipment. New equipment was not crafted, although some of the Glatorian weapons were transformed by the power of the Kanohi Ignika in preparation for battles with the Skrall.
Before the Great Cataclysm, the Matoran on Metru Nui did not actively organize defense organizations. They relied mostly on Toa and Vahki to protect them, though they always carried loaded Kanoka disk launchers for defense from sudden, unexpected Rahi attacks. When the Matoran returned to Metru Nui, they maintained the organizations established on Mata Nui.
On Mata Nui, each village had a defense group organized to defend their village. They were:
- Ta-Koro Guard - Defense for Ta-Koro, formerly led by Jaller.
- Ga-Koro Guard - Defense for Ga-Koro, which used Ga-Matoran Fishing Staffs and sharpened bamboo as weapons.
- Gukko Force - Defense for Le-Koro, use Gukko birds and Nui-Rama for mounts, formerly lead by Kongu.
- Po-Koro Guard - Defense for Po-Koro, which uses Dikapi as mounts, formerly led by Hewkii.
- Ussalry - Defense for Onu-Koro, riding on Ussal crabs, led by Onepu.
- Sanctum Guard - Defense for Ko-Koro, which mainly guard the gates to Ko-Koro.
- Chronicler's Company - Group of seven Matoran led by Takua that helped defend Kini-Nui from Rahi attacks, so the Toa could focus on their attack on Teridax, later disbanded.
The Matoran have now moved all of their original military organizations to Metru Nui.
Rahi and Military
On Mata Nui, the Matoran trained certain Rahi for their use in battles. They include:
- Dikapi - Flightless yet fast running desert fowl sometimes ridden by Po-Matoran scouts and occasionally had notes and messages attached for communications across vast expanses of desert.
- Gukko - Used in the Gukko Force as the main aerial force, sometimes with the riders using Bamboo Disks.
- Nui-Rama - Used in the Gukko Force as helicopter-like transports.
- Ussal - Crab Rahi used as mounts for the Ussalry.
The Nynrah Ghosts, Matoran Crafters from the island of Nynrah, have attempted to create a form of defense by upgrading Matoran through experimental methods. One such test subject was Phantom. Unfortunately, this turned out a failure, the plan was scrapped, and test subjects like Phantom were shunned.
Voya Nui Resistance Team - After the Piraka arrived on Voya Nui, some Matoran became suspicious about the Piraka's actions, so six Matoran formed the Resistance Team to rebel against the Piraka's evil tidings. Once the population of Matoran became safe, it was disbanded.
When the Barraki built their undersea armies, the Matoran became extremely vulnerable to attacks (mainly from Ehlek's army of eels). The Matoran's defenses consisted of Solidified Air Bubbles (and accompanying launchers) which were harvested by the Hydruka and are poisonous to water-breathing beings. They also had at least one submarine which they could use to travel through the water. Defilak, Sarda, Idris, and Gar were ambushed by Pridak and his army of Takea while traveling in it.
The Matoran weapons that helped them defend themselves included:
- Boxor - Large mechanical defenses that have a strong punching action, invented by Nuparu and used during the Bohrok Invasion. (Only used on Mata Nui, some were brought to Metru Nui)
- Chargers - Matoran Dalu's tools (Only used on Voya Nui).
- Disk - Bamboo disks made by Le-Matoran, and used all throughout Mata Nui.
- Echo Forks - Matoran Kazi's tools (Only used on Voya Nui).
- Electro-Blades - Used as a melee weapons by Defilak, Dekar, and more Matoran in Mahri Nui.
- Kanoka - Disks made on Metru Nui that had special powers and which were used by the Matoran for defense on Metru Nui.
- Pulse Bolt Generators - Matoran Garan's tools (Only used on Voya Nui).
- Power Carvers - Matoran Velika's tools (Only used on Voya Nui).
- Power Swords - Used by the Av-Matoran of Karda Nui to channel their Light energy.
- Repellers - Matoran Balta's tools (Only used on Voya Nui).
- Shields - Used on Mata Nui for body protection, made of ice, metal, and bamboo.
- Shredder Claws - Matoran Piruk's tools (Only used on Voya Nui).
- Solidified Air Launchers - Matoran from Mahri Nui used this as their main defense against water-breathing Rahi and and enemies. Also, air-harvesting Hydruka were often equipped with natural versions of these, for defense out in the air fields. (Only used on Mahri Nui)
- Spears - Used as weapons on Mata Nui, made of bamboo, stone, and metal.
|Active||Ta-Koro Guard | Ga-Koro Guard | Gukko Force | Po-Koro Guard | Ussalry | Sanctum Guard|
|Disbanded||Chronicler's Company | Voya Nui Resistance Team|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Fauna | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media