|Purpose||Keep the Great Spirit Mata Nui healthy|
|Effects||Stability of the universe is maintained|
Occupations play a vital role in Matoran society. Matoran from all corners of the Matoran Universe exist to work, under the guidance of the Great Spirit Mata Nui. Each Matoran has a job to complete, whether it is assigned by a Turaga (Takua as Chronicler), earned through special competency (Jaller as Captain of the Guard), or adopted in a time of crisis (Piruk as a Spy). It is essential that the Matoran are always working--the Great Spirit suffers when work stops, especially that of the Metru Nui Matoran as they are the Matoran who live inside his brain. Legend also says that workers who perform well at their job are sent to the paradise of Artakha and those who work poorly are sent to Karzahni. As such, Matoran are constantly motivated to continue working.
The types of occupations differ from location to location. Whereas most jobs on Metru Nui were very urban-based, those on Mata Nui, Voya Nui and Mahri Nui were more survival-oriented. Here are all the jobs that Matoran have been known to perform:
Metru Nui Occupations
- Airship Pilot - A Matoran who piloted an Airship.
- Archivist - An Onu-Matoran who worked in the Archives of Onu-Metru.
- Chief Archivist - The Onu-Matoran who supervised the work of the Archivists.
- Carver - A Po-Matoran who makes carvings. Known Carvers include Ahkmou, Onewa, and Hafu.
- Chute Station Attendant - A Le-Matoran who worked in the Chute Stations.
- Disk Maker - A Matoran who crafted Kanoka Disks for use in Akilini and the making of Kanohi.
- Foundrey Worker - A Ta-Matoran who works at the Ta-Metru Foundries. A known Foundrey Worker was Brander.
- Lab Worker - A Ga-Matoran who conducted experiments, usually with Protodermis, in the Ga-Metru Labs.
- Mask Maker - A Ta-Matoran who crafted Kanohi Masks from Kanoka disks. A known Mask Maker was Vakama.
- Messenger - A Ko-Matoran who relayed messages from one Knowledge Tower to another. A known messanger was Ehrye.
- Protodermis Farmer - A Ta-Matoran who harvested raw molten Protodermis for use in making tools and Kanohi.
- Teacher - A Ga-Matoran who taught various subjects at the Ga-Metru Schools. A known Teacher was Nokama.
- Test Driver - A Le-Matoran who tested experimental transports at the Le-Metru Test Track. A known test driver was Matau.
- Vat Control Worker - A Ta-Matoran who monitored the Ta-Metru molten Protodermis vats. A known Vat Control Worker was Kapura.
Mata Nui Occupations
- Acolyte - A Ko-Matoran who meditated in the Sanctum. A known Acolyte was Lumi.
- Adept - A Ko-Matoran responsible for deciphering the Prophecies from the Wall of Prophecy. A known Adept was Kylma.
- Architect - A Ko-Matoran who held a philosophical position closely entwined with the study of the Destiny Virtue. A known Architect was Jaatikko.
- Astrologer - A Ga-Matoran who recorded and interpreted the movement of the Stars, especially the Red Star, in the Wall of Stars. A known Astrologer was Nixie.
- Attendant - A Matoran that helped their Turaga with the management of the village and the supervision of events. Known Attendants include Macku and Kotu.
- Brick-layer - A Po-Matoran who lay the foundations upon which sculptures are built. A known Brick-layer was Bour.
- Carpenter - A Po-Matoran who worked with wood to build sculptures. A known Carpenter was Pekka.
- Icesmith - A Ko-Matoran who specialized in the creation of Ice-related items, such as Flags.
- Flax Maker - A Ga-Matoran responsible for making the Flax that was required for various tasks around Ga-Koro. A known Flax Maker was Amaya.
- Forest Navigator - A Le-Matoran who was able to easily find their way in Le-Wahi. In Treespeak, a Forest Navigator was known as a Wayfinder. A known Forest Navigator was Tamaru.
- Gukko Force Member - A Le-Matoran involved with the Le-Koro Gukko-mounted defense unit, formerly led by Kongu.
- Hewer - A Po-Matoran who worked hard hewing the stones so that they were ready for carving. Known Hewers included Gadjati and Kivi.
- Ice Carver - A Ko-Matoran skilled in the art of crafting objects out of ice, the most renowned of which was Kopeke.
- Lava Farmer - A Ta-Matoran who farmed the lava of the Mangai Volcano to preserve the landscape of Mata Nui.
- Lava Surfer - A Ta-Matoran who surfed on lava, both for entertainment and competitively in the Ignalu sporting events on Mata Nui. A known Lava Surfer was Maglya.
- Mahi Herder - A Po-Matoran who tended the herds of Mahi on the outskirts of Po-Koro. A known Herder was Golyo.
- Musician - A Le-Matoran who sang and played one or many musical instruments. Known Musicians included Makani and Sanso.
- Navigator - A Ga-Matoran who made maps and charts. A known Navigator was Nireta.
- Ngalawa Racer - A Ga-Matoran who participated in the sport of Ngalawa Boat Racing.
- Prospector - An Onu-Matoran who classified Ore and Protodermis. A known Prospector was Azibo.
- Quarry Master - A known Quarry Master was Epena.
- Rahi Tender - A Matoran who tended injured Rahi or those that had been freed from Makuta's infection.
- Sailor - A Ga-Matoran who traveled Ga-Wahi's waterways and made String and Rope from Flax. Known sailors included Kai and Pelagia.
- Sanctum Guard Member - A Ko-Matoran who defended the Sanctum. The Sanctum Guard consisted of Pakastaa and Talvi.
- Scribe - A Ko-Matoran who copied Nuju's translations of the Wall of Prophecy. A known Scribe was Jaa.
- Shipwright - A Ga-Matoran that built ships from materials such as Rope, Sailcloth and Rigging. A known Shipwright was Marka.
- Stonemason - A Po-Matoran who took care of the sculptures so that they did not Disintegrate. A known Stonemason was Kamen.
- Ta-Koro Guard Member - A member of the Ta-Koro military defense unit, formerly led by Jaller.
- Trapper - A Ko-Matoran who hunted Rahi for the resources they could provide Ko-Koro. A known trapper was Toudo.
- Tree Keeper - A Matoran who cared for and tended to the Vuata Maca trees.
- Ussalry Member - A member of the Onu-Koro Ussal-mounted defense unit, led by Onepu.
- Weaver - A Ga-Matoran who used a loom to create Sailcloth, Nets and Rigging. A known Weaver was Shasa.
Mahri Nui Occupations
- Hydruka Guard - Matoran of Mahri Nui designated with the task of overseeing the harvest of airweed by the Hydruka. A known Hydruka Guard was Reysa.
- Sentinel - Matoran who kept watch for threats to Mahri Nui. Some Sentinels commanded giant Air Launchers. One known sentinel was Kyrehx.
- Aqua Hunter - Matoran who search for food and objects to continue Mahri Nui's survival. A known Aqua Hunter was Dekar.
- Leader of the Mahri Nui Council - Council Leaders hold votes on issues during monthly council meetings. Leadership is rotated among citizens once a month. Known leaders have been Defilak and an unnamed Po-Matoran.
- Carver - A Ko-Matoran or Po-Matoran who carved tools and monuments.
- Chronicler - A Matoran who witnessed and recorded events.
- Crafter - A Matoran who crafted tools and other items from Protodermis. One such Crafter was Lhikan.
- Fruit Stand Keepers - Vendors who sold fruit to local Matoran. None of the Matoran have been seen, but the Dark Hunter Ancient has mentioned them.
- Engineer - An Onu-Matoran who developed helpful equipment and gave Miners check-ups. A known Engineer was Nuparu.
- Guard - A Matoran who stood as a sentry for locations and buildings. Known Guards included Damek, Kaj, Ally, Piatra and Kyrehx. In some villages, special Guard units were formed: for example, the elite Ta-Koro Guard.
- Hand - A Matoran who was a personal assistant to the Turaga.
- Inventor - A Matoran who designed innovative tools and other items to facilitate difficult work. Known Inventors included Balta, Velika, and Defilak.
- Miner - An Onu-Matoran who dug for Ore, Lightstones and Protodermis in the Great Mine.
- Protodermis Miner - Miners specifically employed to dig for Protodermis. Matoran perform safer, easier mining, while beings such as Zaktan worked in harsher sites.
- Scholar - A Matoran whose job was to study any one of a myriad of subjects.
- Spy - A Matoran that monitored the activities of potential foes. A known Spy was Piruk, whose services were employed to spy on the Piraka.
- Toa Canister Builder - These Matoran are responsible for constructing Toa Canisters.
- Trader - A Matoran who bought and sold supplies from different villages.
- Ussal Rider - A Matoran (Usually Le-Matoran on Metru Nui and Onu-Matoran on Mata Nui) who rode an Ussal crab to transport equipment. A known Ussal Rider was Orkahm.
- Warrior - Occasionally, Matoran were required to defend themselves and became Warriors. A known Warrior was Dalu.
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Fauna | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media