|Known Locations||Le-Metru, Le-Wahi (both formerly),|
Gukko are docile and graceful hummingbird-like Rahi.
The main four-winged Gukko species, along with its sub-species the vulture-like Kewa and the hawk-like Kahu, were all created by the Makuta using Viruses and Liquid Protodermis to be some of the Rahi to inhabit the Matoran Universe.
On Metru Nui, the birds generally prefer to make nests in a mess of cables in Le-Metru. They usually travel in small groups in search of upward air streams so that they can glide further. These Rahi can spend whole days flying, keeping an eye out for predators. The high flight speed of the Gukko has an unfortunate tendency to attract the speed-crazed Phase Dragon. They also tend to get caught in the strong webbing of Silver Chute Spiders, resulting in their becoming the spider Rahi's main prey.
After the Great Cataclysm, many of the Gukko migrated to the newly-formed island of Mata Nui and settled in the jungle-covered Le-Wahi region. During the events of the Great Rescue, the Gukko were finally tamed and ridden by Rahaga Kualus and Toa Hordika Nuju.
The Le-Matoran of Mata Nui continued this tradition when they tamed the Gukko to be used as mounts in the Military Gukko Force and sometimes had Bamboo Disk launchers strapped to their backs. These Gukko migrated back to the Matoran Universe after the Bohrok swarms were unleashed to cleanse the island. They have since emigrated to Spherus Magna.
Ka is the name of Kongu's "pet" Gukko bird. Ka aided Kongu and Takua in reaching a Hive of Nui-Rama to rescue several Le-Matoran, Taipu, and Turaga Matau. Ka was injured along the way, but soon recovered and later assisted in the Battle for Kini-Nui.
Ka assisted Takua and Jaller during their quest to find the seventh Toa, transporting them through the trees of Le-Wahi. When the population of Mata Nui returned to Metru Nui, Ka was taken with them. Ka also emigrated to Spherus Magna, along with the rest of the population of the Matoran Universe.
Abilities and Traits
The Gukko is perceived to be a very beautiful creature by the Matoran, with a long graceful body and four slender wings. The Rahi Taku is closely related to the Kewa sub-species.
Despite being known as peaceful creatures, Gukko are infamously difficult to train. The Le-Matoran tried for many centuries to ride the Rahi with no success. However, once they eventually were trained in Le-Koro, they were brave and loyal steeds. They are also known to effectively defend their nests from the dangerous Nui-Rama.
A Gukko set, coupled with Matoran Jaller and released under the name "Jaller and Gukko," was released in late 2003. A trigger on its lower body allowed one to flap this Gukko's four wings. Also, four pins on its back acted as seats for up to two rebuilt Matoran sets. The Jaller and Gukko set's 221 pieces could be combined with pieces from the Takua and Pewku set and the Makuta set to create Makuta Nui, a form of Teridax, known then simply as "Makuta."
- The Gukko was introduced in 2003 as a replacement for the earlier birds ridden in Le-Koro. These earlier birds, the Kahu and the Kewa, had to be written out of the storyline because of legal issues with their names. The change was explained away by the revelation that all three of these birds were in fact the same species, and had been called by different names in the past. Recently, it has been changed again to say that the Kahu and Kewa are subspecies of the main Gukko breed.
- Kualus once commented that "Gukko" is possibly an insult in the Gukko's language, since that is not what they call themselves.
- Birth of a Dark Hunter (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Adventures 8: Challenge of the Hordika
- Wall of History (BIONICLE.com) (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Chronicles 3: Makuta's Revenge
- BIONICLE: Mask of Light
- BIONICLE: Mask of Light (Book)
- BIONICLE Legends 3: Power Play (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Legends 9: Shadows in the Sky (Mentioned Only)
- Dwellers In Darkness (Mentioned Only; Used in a Saying)
- BIONICLE Legends 11: The Final Battle (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Quest for the Toa
- BIONICLE: Metru Nui - City of Legends (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Rahi Beasts
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia Updated (Mentioned Only)
- Mata Nui Online Game
- Mata Nui Online Game II: The Final Chronicle (Mentioned Only)
- Mata Nui Explorer (2003)
- BIONICLE: The Game (Non-canonical Appearance)
- BIONICLE: Quest for Keetongu (Mentioned Only)
- 8594 Jaller and Gukko Building Instructions on LEGO.com (Instructions Begin on Page 6)
|Members||Boreas | Orkahm | Shu | Taiki | Vira|
|Rahi||Gukko | Kahu | Kewa | Nui-Rama|
|Active||Ta-Koro Guard | Ga-Koro Guard | Gukko Force | Po-Koro Guard | Ussalry | Sanctum Guard|
|Disbanded||Chronicler's Company | Voya Nui Resistance Team|
|BIONICLE Sets of 2003|
|Small||Kopeke | Matoro | Hahli | Hewkii | Hafu | Macku|
|Canister||Nuhvok-Kal | Tahnok-Kal | Kohrak-Kal | Lehvak-Kal | Pahrak-Kal | Gahlok-Kal |
Panrahk | Kurahk | Lerahk | Guurahk | Vorahk | Turahk
|Large||Jaller & Gukko | Makuta | Takanuva (Ussanui) | Takua & Pewku | Takutanuva|
|Collectible||Krana-Kal | Kraata|
|see full list|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Fauna | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media