Brotherhood of Makuta
|Brotherhood of Makuta|
|Leader||Miserix (formerly), Teridax (formerly)|
|Goals||Control the Matoran Universe|
|Allies||Toa (formerly), Dark Hunters (formerly)|
|Enemies||Toa, Dark Hunters, Miserix, Order of Mata Nui, Barraki|
The Brotherhood of Makuta was a powerful faction organized by the Great Spirit Mata Nui, tasked with carrying out his will and maintaining order in the Matoran Universe. Later, its members, the Makuta, turned to darkness and became a malevolent organization.
- 1 History
- 2 Known Actions
- 3 Former Members
- 4 Former Servants
- 5 Infrastructure
- 6 Appearances
- 7 See Also
The Brotherhood was created early on in the history of the Matoran Universe. Led by Makuta Miserix, the initial purpose of the Brotherhood was to create biomechanical Rahi which would populate the Matoran Universe along with the universe's sapient species. However, they soon took on the tasks of settling major disputes and protecting the Matoran.
The Barraki, leaders of the League of Six Kingdoms, claimed divine right as Mata Nui's chosen leaders, and demanded that the Brotherhood, as fellow followers of Mata Nui, use their talents to create war beasts for their armies. The Brotherhood complied, but kept a close watch on the League. When the League attempted to usurp Mata Nui himself, an army led by Miserix's lieutenant Teridax struck swiftly and brutally, ending the League for good. However, after defeating the Barraki, Teridax began contemplating the possibility of Mata Nui being overthrown.
Shortly after the end of the League, the Matoran Civil War broke out in Metru Nui, eventually drawing in the Brotherhood to end the conflict. During the war, Mutran was assigned to meet with Tren Krom, who probed the Makuta's mind, inadvertantly giving Mutran knowledge into the inner workings of the universe. In the aftermath, Miserix decided to assign the Makuta to look over different regions.
The Makuta eventually grew disillusioned with their jobs; their work was being ignored while Mata Nui received all the praise. Teridax, bolstered by information Mutran had gained, proposed a plan to undermine Mata Nui and become rulers of the universe. Some, including Miserix, were doubtful that the plan would succeed, but many more supported it and followed Teridax as the Brotherhood's new leader. Those who sided with Miserix were executed by Icarax and Gorast, though Krika showed mercy to Miserix himself and instead imprisoned him on Artidax.
The Brotherhood's first major act of treason was a raid on the island of Artakha, led by Makuta Kojol, stealing the Avohkii Mask of Light that could potentially be used against the Makuta. Activities since then were went unpublicized, and they still had reputations as guardians in many corners of the world.
Sometime later, everyone who went on the raid on Artakha was assassinated by the Order of Mata Nui, including Makuta Kojol, who was killed on Xia. The Brotherhood completely lost the knowledge of the whereabouts of Artakha, and was never again able to find it.
Before the Toa Hagah's rebellion, the Brotherhood ordered the Nynrah Ghosts to build an army of fake Bohrok. However, the Nynrah Ghosts got notice of the plans the Brotherhood had with the machines and so sabotaged them and they went out of control. The Toa Hagah later destroyed them.
Eventually, Teridax's Toa Hagah bodyguards found the Avohkii and realized the implications, deciding to defect from the Brotherhood and take the Avohkii with them. This discovery prompted Teridax to accelerate his plans and infect Mata Nui with a virus that would ultimately render him catatonic.
Since then, the Makuta began preparing for the inevitable day when Mata Nui would wake up from his slumber. In addition to the main plan, Teridax attempted to brainwash the Matoran of Metru Nui into worshipping him. Though that failed, he watched the Matoran and the Toa Mata that eventually joined them, allowing them small victories and helping ensure that Mata Nui and the universe would not die.
Around 3,000 years ago, the Dark Hunters stole the Makoki Stone back from several Toa guarding it. The Shadowed One broke the Makoki Stone into six pieces, and auctioned it off. Seeing a potential use for the stones, the Brotherhood of Makuta outbid the competition, and acquired the pieces.
Following the events in Metru Nui and the Great Cataclysm, the Brotherhood's Visorak army was scattered and their King, Sidorak was killed. Their main base, Destral, was in ruins. Although the Brotherhood managed to rebuild Destral and reform the Visorak, they still had to deal with the repercussions of the Cataclysm. Matters were complicated by a war with the Dark Hunters, provoked when Teridax killed two Hunters to further his own agenda. During the war, one Skakdi named Zaktan discovered the Brotherhood's entire master plan.
When Karda Nui was discovered by Vultraz, a Brotherhood spy, a strike force led by Antroz was sent to invade Karda Nui, the core of the universe, and secure it for the Brotherhood. Due to the discovery of Karda Nui, The Brotherhood anchored Destral near the Southern Continent.
War with the Order of Mata Nui
Shortly after, the Order of Mata Nui revealed itself and attacked the Brotherhood, with the help of the Dark Hunters, Skakdi and even four of the Barraki. The Brotherhood was taken by surprise, and lost their footing in much of the universe, although they managed to keep a resistance up. They lost Xia due to the Dark Hunters but managed to invade Nynrah. The Brotherhood also placed an army of Rahkshi on the Southern Islands to stage an invasion of the Southern Continent, but this was blocked by an army of Skakdi. Shortly later, Pridak was able to take over a Makuta Fortress.
The Brotherhood's main base, Destral, soon came under siege by the Order of Mata Nui. Tridax, who was in command of Destral, made plans to teleport the island to Metru Nui and besiege that city. Instead, he planned to release his Shadow Takanuva army but was stopped by Tobduk and Mazeka. After a short struggle, Tridax was killed by Tobduk and Destral rocked by an explosion.
Some time later, the Brotherhood's forces fought a long and fierce battle with the Order on the island of Nynrah. The Order succeeded in defeating the Brotherhood's forces. Elsewhere, the Brotherhood lost their Visorak army due to the volcanic eruption on Artidax and the efforts of the Toa Mahri and the Order.
The Brotherhood received word from spies on Stelt that the Order was turning the Great Furnace of Ta-Metru into a virus factory that would produce the same virus that killed Makuta Kojol. However, the Order intentially used this lie as an excuse to construct fortifications around the city and lure the Brotherhood into a final battle there. In response, the Brotherhood sent a massive war fleet, consisting mostly of Rahkshi and ships. The Brotherhood forces managed to breach the city through a hole that had been made by Voporak earlier. With the Order and the Toa Mahri at the losing end of the battle, Vakama constructed a plan that involved Toa Krakua. He awakened the Bohrok below Metru Nui, and as the Rahkshi barred their way to the island of Mata Nui, they began fighting the Brotherhood's forces. While distracted by the Bohrok, Rahkshi were picked off by Order members and the Toa.
Around this time, the eight Makuta sent to Karda Nui battled the Toa Nuva and allowed them to awaken Mata Nui. Icarax and Krika were killed by Gorast after betraying the plan, while the rest of the Makuta were destroyed by the Energy Storms, which Teridax had not told them about. The Great Spirit Mata Nui awoke, but his body was taken over by Teridax.
The Toa managed to escape on the three vehicles they found in the Codrex, returning to Metru Nui in time to give aid to the city, and were eventually victorious. A sudden storm erupted, created by Teridax himself, and the retreating Brotherhood fleet was destroyed and sank to the bottom of the Silver Sea, defeating the last of the Brotherhoods forces.
During the victory celebration in Metru Nui, Teridax revealed that he now occupied Mata Nui's body and was now the Matoran Universe. After Teridax took control of the Matoran Universe, he killed all the surviving Makuta except Miserix.
In this alternate universe, the Brotherhood was hunted down by the Toa Empire led by Toa Mangai Tuyet and mostly eradicated before the Makuta could make their move against Mata Nui. A few members, including Teridax and Krika, were still alive at the time of the arrival of the Takanuva from the prime reality. Surviving members participated in the Rebellion Against the Toa Empire.
- Creation of various Rahi
- Defeating the League of Six Kingdoms
- Ending the Matoran Civil War
- Investigating Tren Krom
- Mutating the Skakdi race
- The Raid on Artakha
- Ordering the Nynrah Ghosts to build an army of fake Bohrok.
- Causing Mata Nui's slumber
- Instigating the Dark Hunter/Brotherhood of Makuta War
- Invasion of Karda Nui
- Creating Shadow Matoran
- Teridax, the former Makuta of Metru Nui; killed by Mata Nui.
- Miserix, the former leader of the Brotherhood; usurped by Teridax and sentenced to death, but was secretly imprisoned instead.
- Kojol, the Makuta of Artakha; assassinated by Order of Mata Nui member Tobduk.
- Spiriah, the Makuta of Zakaz; went rogue after failing with the Skakdi. He was ultimately killed by Miserix.
- Mutran, the Makuta of the central area of the Southern Continent; killed in Karda Nui by the Energy Storms.
- Antroz, the Makuta of Xia and Teridax's primary lieutenant; killed in Karda Nui by the Energy Storms.
- Bitil, the Makuta of the western chain of the Southern Islands; killed in Karda Nui by the Energy Storms.
- Chirox, the Makuta of Visorak and Keetongu's homeland; killed in Karda Nui by the Energy Storms.
- Gorast, the Makuta of the Tren Krom Peninsula; killed in Karda Nui by the Energy Storms.
- Icarax, the Makuta of Karzahni; killed by Gorast and Vamprah.
- Krika, the Makuta of the northern region of the Northern Continent; killed by Gorast.
- Vamprah, the Makuta of the region including Odina; killed in Karda Nui by the Energy Storms.
- Tridax, the Makuta of Nynrah; killed on Destral by Tobduk.
- The Makuta of Stelt; killed by Miserix after being found and forced to reveal the location of Teridax.
- Five Makuta who sided with Miserix when Teridax rebelled; all were hunted down and killed.
- Various Makuta who died while on missions.
- Other Makuta that were still alive at the time that Mata Nui was reawakened, but were killed by Teridax.
- A Makuta who was killed by Toa Zaria.
- Ahkmou - A Matoran who agreed to serve Teridax. He returned to the Metru Nui community, believing Teridax to be dead. After Teridax revealed himself to be possessing Mata Nui's body, he appointed Ahkmou 'Turaga' of Metru Nui.
- Brutaka - Brutaka joined the Brotherhood as an army lieutenant before their corruption. He later joined the Order of Mata Nui.
- Exo-Toa - Powered armor designed for Toa to wear, but also equipped with their own artificial intelligence.
- Fohrok - Fake versions of the Bohrok built for the Brotherhood. They were sabotaged by their inventors after they became suspicious of the Makuta's motives, and destroyed by Teridax's Toa Hagah.
- Karzahni - A prototype of the Morbuzakh that was abandoned because it was too powerful.
- Kraata - The essence of Makuta in solid form.
- Kraata-Kal - A mutant Kraata that was created by Teridax. Currently a Dark Hunter.
- Mana Ko - Very powerful Rahi that act as servants of the Brotherhood; secretly spies for the Order of Mata Nui.
- Manas - Rahi crabs that the Makuta use as shock troopers or guards.
- Morbuzakh - A plant created to aid Teridax in his takeover of Metru Nui. Destroyed by the Toa Metru.
- Nivawk - A Rahi bird that Teridax used as a spy in Metru Nui. Absorbed and killed for strength.
- Pridak - Once was the aide of Icarax, before he broke away and founded the League of Six Kingdoms with his fellow Barraki.
- Rahi Nui - An extremely powerful Rahi engineered by the Makuta to hunt Toa for the Dark Hunters. It ended up in the service of Teridax and was once trapped in Mata Nui's caverns, though it later escaped and went to Spherus Magna.
- Seeker - A servant who defended the Kanohi Avohkii from Teridax's Toa Hagah, but failed. He has since joined the Dark Hunters.
- Shadow Matoran - Various Matoran who have had their light extinguished by Shadow Leeches. All have been cured, except Vultraz.
- Shadow Toa - Evil counterparts of the Toa Mata created to deter their advance into the Mangaia; absorbed into the Toa Mata.
- Takadox - Paid to share information on the League of Six Kingdoms before the Barraki disappeared. When found again after eighty millennia, Teridax refused to honor the alliance.
- Toa Hagah - Toa assigned to protect the Makuta against threats. Teridax's Hagah rebelled when they discovered the Brotherhood were preparing a war against the Matoran.
- Voporak - A member of Sidorak's species who was altered by the Brotherhood so he could sense the use of the Kanohi Vahi. He was given to the Dark Hunters for temporary service, but had not returned before the start of the Dark Hunter/Brotherhood of Makuta War.
- Any creature or being wearing an Infected Kanohi.
- Corrupt Toa have served as part of their armies.
- An alternate Takanuva army that Tridax collected and turned into Shadow Toa.
A large part of the Brotherhood's army was comprised of a branch known as the Visorak Horde. The Visorak were vicious spider Rahi created by Makuta Chirox, and later conquered by Gorast using the Heart of the Visorak. Commanded by its king, Sidorak, and his Viceroy, Roodaka, the Visorak Horde conquered many lands and mutated many creatures and beings with their venom. The Horde disbanded in Metru Nui, after the death of Sidorak and the defeat of Roodaka, but was eventually reformed by the Brotherhood. Officially disbanded after the Brotherhood went defunct, though the Visorak were still used by Teridax prior to his death.
- Sidorak - King of the Visorak hordes; killed by Keetongu in Metru Nui.
- Roodaka - Viceroy of the Visorak. Afterwards worked for both the Brotherhood and the Dark Hunters; hunted for playing both sides, eventually taken into custody by the Order of Mata Nui.
- Vakama Hordika - A Toa Hordika, manipulated into joining the Horde by Roodaka and made commander. Later returned to the Toa Hordika after the Horde disbanded; now a Turaga.
The Visorak were the main part of the Horde; seven breeds of spiders, each with their own unique abilities and powers. They were rendered extinct by the Order of Mata Nui, but recently recreated by Teridax.
The Horde employed a number of Rahi allies for assistance, who would travel with the Horde during their conquests.
- Colony Drones - Small Rahi which provided an energy source that the Visorak fed on.
- Gate Guardians - Rahi that could project a smaller image of itself in order to fool enemies, often used as guards.
- Venom Flyers - Flying Rahi used by the Horde as aerial support.
- Zivon - An enormous Rahi that naturally inhabits the Field of Shadows, only called upon in times of great need, as it naturally eats Visorak, and will only fight to protect its food.
The core of the Brotherhood was comprised of the one hundred members of the Makuta species, a number that was drastically reduced over the years, and after unloyal members were purged from it. The Makuta also employed a number of servants and slaves, including Toa, Rahi, and various other beings. They had a single leader, originally Miserix, who was usurped when Teridax implemented his master plan to take over the universe.
The original purpose of the Makuta was to create various Rahi for the Matoran Universe. The process involves the use of Viruses, which give the new Rahi certain attributes. These viruses are then mixed with liquid Protodermis to create the Rahi. The viruses can also be used to offer special traits to anything temporarily. Most Makuta were successful at Rahi creation, and specialized in many fields, though some, such as Spiriah, were not very good at it. Not all Rahi in the universe were created by Makuta, as some were made by the Great Beings before their departure from the universe.
Known Rahi and their creators are listed below:
- Water Wraith, created by Teridax
- Tarakava Nui, created by Teridax
- Rahi Nui, created by Teridax
- Kinloka, created by Teridax
- Tahtorak, created by Miserix
- Niazesk, created by Bitil
- Doom Viper, created by Chirox
- Catapult Scorpion, created by Chirox
- Visorak, created by Chirox
- Lohrak, created by Chirox (and a later version by Mutran)
- Proto Drake, created by Kojol
- Blade Burrowers, created by Mutran
- Klakk, created by Mutran
- Minion, created by an unknown Makuta. Escaped; currently a Dark Hunter.
- A Shadow Matoran/Rahi hybrid, created by Mutran (and partially by Chirox).
- A number of reptilian Rahi created by Miserix.
- Flying and marine Rahi were often created by Kojol, who specialized in them.
- Insectoid Rahi created by Bitil
- A flying Rahi with the ability to turn into liquid if frightened, created by Mutran.
- A multi-legged, two-headed Rahi with no tail created by Spiriah; deemed a failure.
- Kraata-Kal, created by Teridax
- Shadow Leeches, created by Mutran and Chirox
- The Mountain, created by Mutran
- The Mutran Chronicles
- Comic 25: Birth of the Rahaga (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Legends 4: Legacy of Evil (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE Legends 6: City of the Lost (In Flashback)
- Comic 8: Sea of Darkness (Mentioned Only)
- Toa Nuva Blog (Mentioned Only)
- Into the Darkness (In Flashback)
- Federation of Fear (Mentioned Only)
- The Kingdom (Mentioned Only)
- Dark Mirror (Mentioned Only)
- Comic 12: Realm of Fear
- BIONICLE Legends 9: Shadows in the Sky
- Comic 13: Swamp of Shadows
- BIONICLE Legends 10: Swamp of Secrets
- Takanuva's Blog
- Comic 14: Endgame
- Destiny War
- Dwellers In Darkness (Mentioned Only)
- Brothers In Arms (Mentioned Only)
- Comic 15: Mata Nui Rising
- BIONICLE Legends 11: The Final Battle
- Reign of Shadows (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Journey's End (Mentioned Only)
- The Yesterday Quest (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Dark Hunters (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: World (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Encyclopedia Updated (Mentioned Only)
- BIONICLE: Makuta's Guide to the Universe (Mentioned Only)
|Brotherhood of Makuta|
|Former Leaders||Miserix | Teridax (deceased)|
|Former Members||Antroz | Bitil | Chirox | Gorast | Icarax | Kojol | Krika | Mutran | Spiriah | Tridax | Vamprah | Makuta of Stelt (all deceased)|
|Former Minions||Ahkmou | Brutaka | Exo-Toa | Fohrok (destroyed) | Karzahni (deceased) | Kraata (Shadow Leeches) | Kraata-Kal | Mana Ko | Manas | A Maxilos (destroyed) | Minion | Morbuzakh (deceased) | Nivawk (deceased) | Pridak | Rahi Nui | Rahkshi | Roodaka | Seeker | Shadow Matoran | Shadow Toa | Sidorak (revived) | Takadox | Toa Hagah | Visorak | Voporak|
|Turahk | Guurahk | Lerahk | Panrahk | Vorahk | Kurahk | Rahkshi of Heat Vision | Other Rahkshi|
|Breeds||Vohtarak | Boggarak | Keelerak | Roporak | Oohnorak | Suukorak | Kahgarak|
|Colony Drones | Gate Guardians | Venom Flyers | Zivon|
|Sidorak (revived) | Roodaka | Vakama|
|Other||Chirox (deceased) | Gorast (deceased) | Visorak Battle Ram | Heart of the Visorak (destroyed) | Hordika Venom|
|Active||Fire Tribe | Water Tribe | Jungle Tribe | Sisters of the Skrall | Sand Tribe | Ice Tribe | Bone Hunters|
|Disbanded||Rock Tribe | Iron Tribe|
|Active||Order of Mata Nui | Dark Hunters|
|Disbanded||Hand of Artakha | League of Six Kingdoms | Brotherhood of Makuta|
|Characters | Sapient Species | Locations | Flora | Fauna | Objects | Powers | Vehicles | Society | Events|
LEGO | TECHNIC | BIONICLE | Hero Factory | BS01 Wiki | Policies | Sources | Saga Guides | Timeline | Media